t w e n t y - s i x

RETURNING TO THE pro-circuit had always been the dream

It was all I wanted, and all I had been working towards in my recovery, but now there is more to think about, more people in my life to think about. Now I'm being given the chance to return to the circuit.

The question is whether I decide to go back.

Letting out a deep sigh, I wrap my hands around the warm coffee mug and lean back in the coffee shop booth. Sitting in the coffee shop a few towns over from Sandy Cove, I look out the window. The town is bustling with energy and has a different atmosphere about it, more rural old town America compared to the lightness and beach town of Sandy Cove. It's quaint, and the coffee shop is no quieter than the town itself.

"Sandy Cove looks good on you."

Turning my head, I see my agent, Cassidy, walk over to the booth I am sitting in. She draws stares from the surrounding locals. While everyone is in relaxed attire, Cassidy portrays the big city agent role well in her suit. No matter where in the world she is, a suit will be with her at all times, ready for a work opportunity.

"You traveled all the way here to a small town and you still dress like a big city sports agent," I tell her, a smirk tilting at my lips.

"Always prepared for war," she teases, and I chuckle before standing up and hugging her. "It's good to see you."

"You too."

Sitting back down, she slides across from me, placing her handbag down and leaning back as I bring my coffee to my lips.

"So, tell me why we couldn't meet in Sandy Cove?" Cassidy questions as a waitress brings over her coffee for her.

"Small towns mean nothing stays a secret for long," I tell her and she pulls her face, never having been a fan of small towns. "Careful, your city girl is showing."

Cassidy is only ten years older than me and is more of an older sister than anything. She has been my agent right from the beginning when I signed with the league. I got lucky. There are many people in the athlete world ready to take advantage of newcomers.

"From the way you talk, you seem to love it here. I feel like I haven't heard you talk about going back pro for a while. Surfing, yes. But talking about the circuit, no," she tells me as she drinks her coffee.

"I like it here, but I know I need a future and a decision as to what my future will be," I say.

"Well, this may help you decide that. There's a big sponsor who is interested in having you as the face of their company. They're throwing a lot of money your way, so long as you come back on the circuit soon. If you don't, they'll go to another surfer and I've already had sponsors tell me they're going to look elsewhere. Not to mention that the league won't take too kindly knowing you're physically healed but haven't come back," she explains to me.