t w e n t y - s e v e n*

"ATLAS HAYES YOU signed me up for your scuba and snorkeling lessons?!"

June is straight out of the door of the retirement home as soon as Atlas and I pull up in his van. She marches over with purpose, drawing looks from other residents, and Atlas's face goes white. Closing the door of the van, I try my best to hold back my snicker as I watch Atlas cower at an elderly woman.

But make no mistake, she is not frail by any means.

Atlas didn't think that telling other residents of Sandy Cove June was taking part in his new venture as we were handing out flyers would get back to June. He knew that telling people that would bring out the competitiveness of the older generation in town. But he should know better than anyone that nothing stays secret for long.

Even with June no longer living in Sandy Cove, she still knows everything.

"I can explain."

June stops in front the van with her hands on her hips, giving Atlas a look than can make any grown man grovel for forgiveness. If his frozen stance is any sign.

"You can explain why I am getting told by people in Sandy Cove that I am going scuba diving and snorkeling?" June tells him and he goes to open his mouth before she stops him. "I am a 76-year-old woman and while I am not on my deathbed, by any means does not mean I am going to go scuba diving."

"But you could because you're so youthful," Atlas tries to charm her and her glare shuts him down before she looks over in my direction and gives me a look that is basically telling me to explain what happened.

I clear my throat and stand up straighter. "We were giving flyers out for the lessons and, of course, it's not something a lot of the older generation in Sandy Cove are interested in. So Atlas thought telling them you were taking part would get them to join. I told him it was a bad idea."

Atlas's head whips around to me. "You're selling me out?!"

I shrug, not feeling by any means guilty for it. In fact, it's quite amusing.

"And you thought I wouldn't hear about this?" June asks, turning back to Atlas once more.

"I'm sorry June. It was wrong of me to use your name," Atlas says, slowly walking closer to her.

"You damn right it was," she tells him, scoffing. "If it ever happens again, remember, you are not too old for me to kick your behind."

"Yes, ma'am," Atlas says before leaning in to kiss her cheek.

"Now tell me about this new business venture of yours," June says as she links her arm through his elbow, and I come round to join them as we make our way through the lot towards the house. June waves at some other residents along the way as we make our way towards the extensive garden area to sit down.

"Thalia came up with the idea, actually," Atlas tells her. "This way I can incorporate more of the things I love into my business."

"Did she now?" June smiles as she looks over at me. "Speaking of you two, what is this I hear about you two grabbing breakfast the other morning?"