1 | Eraser

This book is inspired by a show I watched.

Komaeda was unlucky.

School years begin on April 1st. Komaeda was born on April 28th. So when the kids who were born in the same year as him got enrolled into 1st geade, he was still five years old and not six, so he had to wait a year, until he was almost seven, to go to school for the first time. Usually, parents would just let their child be enrolled early, but Komaeda's parents didn't want that. So now everyone who was the same age as him was a grade above him.

That was just one example of his bad luck. Another one was today, when he forgot o bring an eraser to school.

"Maizono-san, do you have an eraser I can borrow?" He asked his classmate.

"Sure. There you go." She smiled, handing it to him.

"Thanks."

"The test begins now!" The teacher exclaimed.

Komaeda got done early and was bored, so he played around with the eraser a bit. The little paper wrapper that was in the middle came off and he noticed writing on it.

'Hinata-kun ♡'

He had heard that some people write their crushes name on an eraser or something like that since it was supposed to bring luck into their love life. He didn't want Maizono to see him noticing it and get embarassed, so he quickly put the wrapper back on.

Hinata-kun... hm... he did know who that was. He had seen him before, but they only talked a couple times and didn't know anything about each other except their names.

After the test, lunch break began. Komaeda went to the rooftop and had his hand in his pocket when he felt something inside. It was Maizono's eraser. He forgot to give it back. Well, didn't matter. He'd just do it in the next lesson.

Komaeda sat down and got out the eraser. He began to play around with it again. Suddenly, it fell down and landed on the floor without the wrapper on it. He reached out to pick it up, when someone else's hand grabbed it.

It was Hinata. He took a quick glance at it and then gave the eraser to Komaeda.

"Ah, thank you,"

"Uh... it says 'Hinata-kun'. With a heart," The brunet stated. "What's that about?"

"No no no! That's not my eraser, you've got the wrong idea!" Komaeda exclaimed, cheeks turning pink.

"I see. Then who does it belong to?"

"Uhm..." No, he couldn't tell him. Maizono's feelings would get hurt if anyone found out and he didn't want that. "It's ah... it is mine actually,"

"Huh?"

"Your heard me!" Komaeda grabbed his bag and stormed off, embarassed.

"Komaeda!" Hinata called out, but he didn't listen.

When lunch break was over, they all went back to their classrooms.

"Komaeda-kun, can I have my eraser back?" Maizono asked.

"Of course." He gave it to her. "Sorry, I forgot to give it back earlier,"

"No worries. Uhm... did you see it?"

Komaeda looked at her. "I apologize..."

"So you did. No need to be sorry, it's not your fault. Just... please don't tell anyone. I don't want rumors to be spread..."

"I won't do that, don't worry. I think... you should tell him how you feel,"

She turned red and covered her face. "No way! I'm way too scared of being rejected!" She put down her hands. "Right now... I'm fine with just being a secret admirer,"

He nodded. "If you say so,"

The teacher walked into the room and Maizono sat down at her desk.

"Good morning, everyone! Today we will begin the preparations for the upcoming festival. The students in the theater club will begin practicing the play now. I know we don't have much time, but it's a pretty short play." He handed out the script.

"Who will help make food?" Several students raised their hands. "Alright." He wrote their names down. "Who will help make the props for the play?"

Komaeda and a few others raised their hands. He would have loved to make food, but he knew that one of his upperclassmen, Hanamura, would always get very passionate about cooking which could cause him to get angry easily and that wasn't fun at all.

"Good." He wrote them down.