Chapter 67 (Last Chapter)

Start from the beginning

The code blue alarm went off in his room which made this impending doom all the more realistic.

"It's okay. It's okay. It's okay. You're okay." I don't know who I was reassuring more, but I knew that I had to say it out loud. The nurses, doctor and PA came into the room, my parents right behind them.

They didn't say anything. They just crouched next to me, on either side and hugged me very tightly, both quietly crying.

I was still holding his hand, as if I was trying to memorize his scent before they took him away. Trying to memorize how it felt like to hold my twin one more time. Trying to remember what I couldn't feel my entire life because we never knew we existed.

"As per Mr. Pierce's request, he refused to be resuscitated and he signed a DNR." The nurses slowly turned off the sound on the vitals machine while the doctor checked the pulse on his hand. He took his stethoscope out and auscultated his heart and lungs. I prayed that he catches just a glimpse of life, just a reason for us to hold on to. But I also prayed for him to find peace ; no matter where that is. In my heart, I already knew the answer.

He took a deep breath, sorrow in his eyes, before he announced, "Time of death 5:30 pm."

I still wasn't able to let go. It was as if by letting go of his hand, I'd be letting go of my twin forever. As if I'd be admitting that Blake and Lucas won.

"Mom. Mom CJ is g..gone. Dad. Dad can you bring him back... please. Please"

"I'm so sorry honey. I... I am so sorry." My mom held both my hands to hers, and CJ's lifeless hand dropped to his side. The sight was unbearable, but the only thing that gave me comfort was knowing that he was finally at peace. He lived his entire life in pain and agony, and just when he found peace, it was taken from him in a heartbeat.

My friends came into the room to say their goodbyes, and I had to leave; Jaycee eyeing me discreetly. If I stayed there any longer I would have lost my mind. Brenda and Sabrina were the first to come in, a single flower in each of their hands. While Jaycee, Ashton and Aaron all had their heads down. My dad walked out with me, his arms around my shoulder, his chin resting on my head.

"I'm so sorry Lexi. Oh God the horrors you must have witnessed."

"He... he saved me dad. He literally sacrificed himself for me. I'm here because of him." I cried onto his shoulder. He's not used to seeing me like that and I'm not used to seeing him cry either. His hug was the type that made me feel safe and contained ever since I was a little child. Their little, only child.

I got so absorbed in my own pain that I forgot that my parents lost their child twice. They had to go through this pain and suffering twice.

"Dad?" I said, still lying on his shoulder.

"Yes pumpkin?"

"I'm sorry for your loss."

He didn't say anything, he just held me tighter while we both shared the grief and pain of loss.

A few seconds later, our two people hug became three people. Then more and more as all my friends came to hug us.

"We're so, so sorry for your loss Mr. P. If there's anything we can do, please.... Please don't hesitate to let us know. My parents also send their condolences." Said Jaycee, giving my dad a big hug.

"Thank you son." Was all my dad said as he went to join my mom in CJ's room again. She was sprawled over his lifeless body, weeping silently and patting his hair.

It just hit me that the last time I saw my parents, my mom was in a coma and my dad had to be sedated. I thought that the next time I saw them, we would all be reunited and CJ would be here. That he would be telling them stories about how he managed to outsmart Lucas and Blake and bring the both of us back home safely. That we would all take a month long trip discovering lost cities  in Europe. Instead, we will be planning my brother's funeral.