Chapter 65

A symphony of screams went out, but all I could explicitly hear was Jaycee's blood curdling scream. That's gonna live with me forever.

He shot me.

Did he though? Because I don't feel anything. Maybe I'm dead. Oh that wasn't bad. Good now I can find Casper and we can both haunt this demented, psychotic dumbass.

It felt like slow motion, but I fell on the ground with a big ass boulder on top of me. The weight on me made it so hard to do anything. I opened my eyes - yeah turns out I'm still alive, bummer— to find someone in a black hoodie lying on me facedown.

"Why the hell won't you die!" He said in a rage, coming towards me at an ungodly speed - his men still aiming their guns at us, Jaycee aiming his gun on him.

"FBI! Put your hands in the air where I can see them!" Emerged the shadow from the trees.

That put a halt to his maniacal jog. All his men surrendered faster than you can say "what". Giovanni and his men also surrendered their guns and got on their knees. Everyone ran over to me, Jaycee leading the way.

"Lexi! Oh my God are you ok! Alexis!" He pushed the person off of me and started checking for a pulse.

"My eyes are wide open Jay. I'm ok. Hey. Hey. I'm fine." I said against his bone crushing hug.

"I thought I lost you. I thought I lost you." Was all he kept repeating.

Once I regained my vision from the blurriness brought on by his hug, I could see that the person who was on top of me was facing upwards now. Although the hoodie was concealing some of his face, I could still easily make out those think rimmed glasses and blonde hair anywhere.

"Lucas?"

"Huh? What?" Said Jaycee, finally releasing me from his death grip.

"Lucas? What the hell?!" I repeat in disbelief, my hands over my head.

"Isn't that our other chemistry teacher from hell?" Asked Ashton.

"What the hell is he doing here? What the hell just happened? He appeared out of nowhere!"

He coughed up blood, and I sat next to him in disbelief. He tried getting up but the pain of his gunshot wound dragged him down again.

"Lucas.. why? Why did you jump in front of me?" I asked, tears starting to form again like they've been on standby.

"I couldn't do it Lexi." His breathing got difficult, and he was barely keeping his eyes open.

"Uh guys you wanna go find CJ and Ross?" Asked Ashton as he pulled Jaycee and Aaron away.

"Hell no I'm not leaving her with this psycho again. You go get them. They're behind the tree."

"He has all the right to call me that after what happened. I deserve it. I'm really sorry Alexis. For everything. You don't deserve any of this and neither does CJ..."

"Why did you jump in front of me?" I repeated, trying my best to not be fazed by his words.

"Do you think I ever lost track of you? I always kept track of you. Your success and your accomplishments, it always brought me so much joy knowing you were living your best life. I felt so proud of the girl you've become little X, and I always will be. Always. Please apologize to your mom for me..." he coughed up blood again, and his wound was oozing more blood than I've ever seen.

Why isn't he answering my question?

"Please. Please tell her I've always loved her and I always will and she didn't deserve this. None of you did. You'll find out why it all happened eventually - you'll see it yourself. But I did the right thing Little X. I... I did the right thing..." he whispered out, color draining from his face.