Chapter 16

Ryan's POV

I couldn't figure out why I was so bothered by the fact that I wouldn't be able to hang out with Kevin today. Why do I care so much though? We'll just probably text each other later tonight. Though he didn't respond to my text message earlier today, I was lucky to even run into him during the passing period. He was acting a bit strange though, did I do something to upset him? Or was something just bothering him?

"Ryan! Pay attention!" I snap my head up to see my coach. Oh shit, I totally forgot that I was in football practice. "Seems like our precious Ryan has his head in the clouds." I gulped down as I saw the terrifying glare my coach was giving me. "I'm sorry coach, I did get a bit distracted." It was no use trying to explain my situation though, I was certain he was gonna make me do an exercise punishment.

He shook his head as he patted my shoulder, signaling me to stand up. "Maybe doing a five-minute plank will get your head back into practice son." I just nodded my head, not really having the choice to say no, and walk away from the rest of the team. I began to position my body on the grass and was able to see the rest of the team practice for the upcoming game. I slightly turned my head to see my coach and nodded my head, letting him know that he can start the five-minute timer.

I let out a sigh as I raised my legs to properly do the plank, as my arms were now holding all of my weight. As I held up the plank position I looked up to see the rest of my teammates practicing. I was looking over at them hoping it would take my mind off of Kevin. Though that didn't seem to work, as my mind was now back to worrying. It was getting a bit aggravating that I was getting this worked up though.

I forgot I was doing the plank until my coach yelled out to me that my time was up. When I snapped back into reality I could feel my arms shaking and my legs trembling. The pain then settled all over my body and I collapsed onto the ground. I let out a groan as I try to roll over to look up at the sky and wipe the sweat on my forehead. I closed my eyes for a few seconds, as I tried to catch my breath. Until a sudden shadow loomed over me, I opened my eyes and saw Fred look down at me with his usual smirk.

As I looked up at him, I felt a sudden heat at the bottom of my stomach. I knew that he was the main source of bullying Kevin. But I was also mostly to blame for not stopping him in the past. He reached his hand down for me, I grabbed onto it as he helped me up.

"What's up with you bro? You're all scattered-brained today."

"Yeah, I just got distracted with things in my mind."

"What can possibly be on your mind dude? Wait, don't tell me, you finally got a chick you like?'

"No, it's nothing like that."

I stayed quiet for a second as we walked our way back to the rest of the team. There is no way in hell I could tell Fred that I could potentially have feelings for Kevin. He would probably be something terrible to him. God, even thinking of that possibly happening makes my stomach turn. Fred in the meanwhile was staring at me with a confused expression. Waiting for me to go on, though our coach walked up to yell at us to practice a new technique for the game.

I let out a sigh of relief as I went to my position, and was able to continue with the practice. Luckily I was able to not make any other mistakes for the rest of the practice. After practice was over, the team headed to the locker rooms to shower quickly and head home. After I took a shower I headed to the lockers and saw most of my team talking or messing around. In the corner of my eye, I saw Jonathan silently changing, no one really acknowledging his existence. Not gonna lie, I honestly forget he's on the football team with us sometime

Don't get me wrong he's a good running back, though it seems like the rest of the team just does not want to associate with him. Just because of his sexuality, and Fred's supremacy since he is the team captain. So we all just aimlessly follow what he says, now I notice how dumb his ideology is. Though it did take meeting Kevin to come to that realization. So I am also at fault for not speaking up about his actions. I went back to my locker and took out my clothes and quickly changed. I would be caught up in a small talk with some of my teammates about Fred's party this weekend.