Chapter 15

•Kevin's POV•

Sam and I made it to our science class, and sat down at our usual seats. As per usual our teacher did assign us to do a worksheet of fill in the blanks. Everyone in the class let out a reluctant groan as we get our textbook to mindlessly find the keywords for this stupid worksheet. "I can totally find this worksheet online dude." Sam whispered to me with a mischievous smile. I grin back at her as she slowly takes out her phone. I looked over to our teacher to make sure he wasn't looking in our direction.

The coast was clear so I gave her a thumbs up to Sam as she searched for the answers. I heard her whisper a soft yes, making me turn. She then carefully put her phone in between our textbooks."Leave it to an irresponsible adult to just print out a random worksheet online."

"You truly are a saint Sam" I whisper softly and she looks up to me with a cheeky smile. We then quietly fill in the worksheet and in between every few questions, we would flip a page from the textbook. As if we are actually looking for the answers. But hey he's not putting any effort teaching us, so why should we. Just like the saying goes 'Work smarter not harder'.

I then hear my phone go off and carefully turn it over. My eyes widened and I let out a sigh. It was just Ryan, god I hate how I just got so excited when I saw his name. I look at the notifications for a few seconds then flip my phone over. There is too much on my mind right now. I'll respond to that later, so I go back to finishing the worksheet. To try to clear my mind I unconsciously look over to Sam. Her head was resting on the desk, she seemed to be half asleep. I nudged her elbow a little which made her jults up.

"Stay with us Sammy" she let out a reluctant groan as she rubbed her eyes. I know Sam is struggling with her mental health lately, and I want to help. But I never really know how to bring things like that up in a conversation. I lean in over to her side of the desk and tap her arm. She lets out a hum and peers over to my direction. "Is everything alright dude?" Sam turned her head away from me and let out a sigh.

"Just tired bro, I'll be ok." That was obviously a lie, though I knew she wasn't going to tell me how she actually felt. "It's more than that isn't it?" She remained silent and didn't even look back at me. It really made me sad to see her obviously suffering. I wanted to make her tell me, though pressuring her to do that would just make her defensive or upset.

"I understand if you don't want to talk about it now. But I'll always be there to listen to you rant about what you're going through dude. You don't have to bear it alone, ok." Sam peered over me and nodded her head. "Yeah I know dude." She turned her head back down and continued to listen to her music. I still look down at her with a small frown, what that even progress? Maybe? Hopefully she'll eventually tell me what's been really bugging her.

I went back to copying the answers of the worksheet quickly before the bell rang. If I'm quick enough I may have time to draw in my sketch. I was finally done with the forsaken worksheet, and was going to get my sketchbook from my backpack. All of the sudden the school bell rang, I silenting screamed as I shoved my sketchbook back in my bag and reluctantly picked it up. Of course, when I actually want to do something the world has to come down and tell me no.

I said a quick good-bye to Sam as we both parted ways to our next class. As I walked down the hall I pulled my phone out of my pocket. The notification from Ryan still hovered in my homescreen. I hesitated as I unlocked my phone and read over his message again. That unsure feeling lingered over me once more prompting me to continue and stall my response. It's probably best to not spend too much time with Ryan, it'll just cause trouble for the both of us.

I let out a long sigh and I turned off my phone and shoved it back to my pocket. My eyes looked up to see the crowded school hallway, I began to pick up my pace since I got distracted. I tried to be careful to not bump into the slowpokes that I was stuck behind. But I guess I lost my footing as my foot tripped on something and I almost fell on the floor. For a split second I lost my balance and was bracing myself to hit the floor, as I closed my eyes. Though miraculously I did not feel the hard floor hit against my body and opened my eyes.

I then realized my left arm was being held by an unknown source, I turned my head around to see who it was. I felt my face heat up when I saw Ryan's face smiling at me. Why is it that he pops up at the worst possible time for me? I cursed under my breath as he helped me back up. "Jeez Kev, you gotta pay more attention." God I hated that he was beaming a cheeky at me, and that was making me blush.

"Yeah, yeah whatever. I'm a clumsy bitch, thank you very much." I turned my face the other way to hide my face, trying to make my way to class though there was a sudden tug on my arm again.

"Hey, why are you in such a hurry?"
"Well I do have to go to class. I don't have the privilege of being late to class."
"Oh come on, I don't live up to that stereotype."
"Sure, but seriously I have to go to my next class dude."
"Wait, um are we working on the project today?"
"No, I got my hands full with other classes' homework. I also think we're far ahead, so we don't have to worry about it."
"Oh, ha I get that Kev. I guess I'll talk to you later then."

I saw Ryan's smile slowly fade as he let out an awkward laugh. I suddenly started to feel bad for a second when I saw his expression. However, I couldn't dwell on my emotions any further. I quickly said my goodbye to Ryan and I basically began to speed walk to my class. Barely making it in the nick of time, I slouched in my seat as I steady my breathing.

Wow, I really am not an athletic person at all. This was distracting my mind from Ryan's sad face. I did find it rather strange that he had a devastated face. Why would he be sad though? I could be overthinking things, as per usual. Whatever, enough of this stupid straight boy crush crisis. I just needed to clear my mind of everything and hopefully the rest of my day doesn't have anymore goddamn surprises.

Author's note
Hey kid! I brought the milk I said I would come back with after months. I'm honestly surprised some of y'all are still here to read this story I came up with in high school. I do want to finish it but boy do I barely have time. I also may release a new story. Under a new account thou, just to start off fresh. I'll let y'all know if I ever do who knows. Anyways have a good day/ afternoon/ night lovely. Stay hydrated and be good y'all