Chapter 10:

So, the story took a turn.

A scandalous one.

Even though Cleopatra had asked Antony to sit back and lie low while Marcus and I figured this out, she was not helping my case with her attraction to Antony... or Marcus. At this point, it wasn't very clear at whom it was directed.

I crossed my legs, clenching them together as Marcus scribbled on one of the scrolls whilst I planned the wine party for next week. I don't know if he noticed but his foot had been inching closer to me this entire time until it caressed my leg.

I choked on my wine and he glanced up at me, concerned.

"Are you okay?" Marcus asked.

I nodded, getting back to my plans.

He didn't seem very aware that Antony had been making moves, the same way I didn't notice my hand had drifted dangerously close to his. We both recoiled from each other, as a shock passed between us.

"Um, maybe I should go?" Marcus said, getting up from his seat, but Cleopatra pulled him back.

"Sorry," I said meekly, ignoring her urging voice. "Maybe you could help me plan the party instead of avoiding me?"

Marcus looked away guiltily as if he didn't realise he had been. "Right."

"Also, we're in March..." I said letting that statement hang in the air between us and his shoulders fell.

"I know."

"I don't think Brutus is conspiring against Julius."

Marcus looked at me as if I had sprung a pair of horns from my head. "Thea, we all know he does–"

"But he doesn't want to... not really, I think." I tried to hide the guilt I felt knowing that I suspected Mark Antony. I know it was wrong but something was more off between him and Julius than there was between Brutus and Julius.

"What does Antony say about Julius?"

Marcus raised an eyebrow before looking off to the right, reaching for memories that were not his own. "Nothing. Just a close friendship but–" he abruptly stopped.

What, what was it? Cleopatra demanded.

"What?" I repeated.

"Nothing," Marcus said as he gathered his information. "We can't change history. This project was designed to show us our past. Everything has literally been set in stone."

He closed off and I rolled my eyes. I understand he was acting strange because of Antony but he would have told me if there was something.

"So, how do we get back home," I asked him as Cleopatra continued making her list, guiding me.

"I may have found a way to mend the dagger. In the past two days, I managed to gather the materials I need and I think I could pull this off. If I can fix it then I can send you back home," he said still moving his stuff around.

My heart did a flip. He was finding a way home... but only for me?

"What about you?"

"It won't be able to take two people back. It was designed to work on one person. However, there is an override function in the lab. Only Gaius knows about it. Once you get back, find him and let him know. He'll bring me back."

He looked at me one last time. I could sense that he didn't know if either of us would get back and even if I did and told Professor Gaius, something could prevent Marcus from coming back. Secondly, I had no idea what Octavian had done to hide the evidence so I had no idea what I would be returning to. If I couldn't get back to Gaius... I didn't want to think about it. It seemed like Marcus had the same thought.

"Goodnight, Thea," he said getting up to leave.

"Wait," I grabbed his hand and got up. He looked at me surprised as I dropped my gaze to the floor.

My thumb gently ran across the scar on his wrist, the way Cleopatra had done earlier. Mark Antony had gotten it as a child in his first battle. I felt him shiver under my touch as I stepped closer.

I finally got the courage to look up at him and instantly regretted it. A flame ignited at my core as he gazed down at me, his eyes half open.

Those eyes.

Those grey eyes were Marcus's eyes, not Antony's. He saw me.

I don't know how it had happened but I found myself moving closer to him as if I had been pushed. He caught onto my shoulders to steady me, his eyes never leaving mine.

After a long silence, he finally exhaled, almost breathlessly. "I should go," he whispered.

"Then go," I replied even softer, but the half-heartedness of the statement was more than evident. His arms wrapped around my waist and tugged me closer.

For a moment so brief I may have imagined it, his eyes dropped to my lips before returning to my eyes. Marcus gulped, he leaned down and I closed my eyes expecting a kiss but it never came.

Instead, his head tucked into the crook of my neck and he pulled me flush against him. "I'll get you home," he muttered.

For a second I snapped out of my daze, ignoring the crave I had for his touch. His heart raced under my fingertips, matching my own heartbeat. I wondered if he could feel my pulse against his chest in the anticipation of what was about to happen next.

Marcus and I were never more than friends back home and never pursued anything more... except that one night... and maybe once after that a couple of months later... and after that, a couple of days – you know what, that was irrelevant.

But now, there was something, and maybe it was the fact that the bodies we were in were not completely under our control.

I felt Cleopatra smirk. You're welcome, she whispered before she vanished.

Marcus's eyes widened and something tells me Antony had done so too.

I chuckled a bit, reaching up to cup Marcus's face. "We'll both get home, that's my promise to you."

[Wattpad word count: 980]

[Total Wattpad word count: 11 519]

Edited by: TheRebeccaBlake & Dodelia Reene