Chapter 29

Night had already fallen when it was time for us to finally go back to the school. Me and Satoru spent the rest of the day strolling, eating and chatting. And it felt good, for a while, to spend some time away from all of the chaos of whatever was happening and our job. It was only us together in our own little world. And I found myself feeling somewhat grateful for spending that little time with him. Because I think we both really needed it.

"What are they doing?" I said to Satoru next to me as we kept walking closer and closer to the entrance of the first years classes. I squinted my eyes to see better in the dimly lit ground what those three shadows were doing.

Satoru shrugged, then as if he had already seen what they were up to, he chuckled to himself lightly then looked down. I averted my eyes back at them, then the breath got held in my lungs when I caught a pair of deep green eyes locking on us. More precisely, locking on my fingers intertwined with Satoru's.

Something clicked in me. Like an old, rusty switch that I had kind of forgotten about. The second I felt that fierce gaze piercing at me. It made me feel internally guilty for some reason and I instantly pulled my hand out and away from Gojo.

I could already feel his frown forming on his features next to me without even glancing at him. But I didn't look. Because I couldn't even explain it, and we had already reached those idiots.

"What is this?" I said to them, trying my best to sound normal, avoiding Megumi's eyes.

They were crouching down next to the hideous pumpkins we carved a few days ago. Nobara was too deep into reading an old looking book. While Yuji held the flashlight of her phone up for her. Megumi was only sitting on the steps.

"Sensi!!" Yuji exclaimed excitedly when he saw Satoru behind me. "Look, remember the floating spell you told me I could use one day? We've been searching for it, I have a great idea for these pumpkins after lighting them and..."

"There's no such thing as a floating spell!" Megumi cut him off, annoyed.

"No, there is! Tell him..." Yuji looked with pleading eyes to Gojo, who I looked back at and saw he was not frowning anymore but smirking. Then he strecthed his arms and yawned, before walking past the steps and headed towards the dormitories.

"Figure it out, kid... and try to not burn the school down while you're at it." He said as he kept walking away.

I sighed, then looked back at a frowning Yuji. "He's just had a long day. Nothing is personal, don't worry." I said, then took a few more steps to go and sit with them over the steps. Megumi scooted away from me. "And yes, there's no such thing as a floating spell. Not one where you can do with it what I think you guys want to do with these pumpkins."

Nobara kept flipping pages. "I will figure it out... Hold the light well, idiot!"

Yuji, scared of getting smacked on the head, nodded and held the phone for her. Megumi sighed next to me, he was looking ahead. I pulled my knees up and rested my arms on them. "Everything okay, Gumi?"

"You tell me."

"Hm..." I smiled, then rested my chin over my arms. Nobara and Yuji were still murmuring behind us. "I guess you can ask me.."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him nodding once. "Are you with him now? Like, dating?"

My smile grew, then I shook my head. Megumi kind of breathed out a scoff. But I added before he could say anything. "It's complicated."

"Sure it is..."

"Why are you pissed about it? You jealous I'll steal your Sensi or something?" I said then turned my head sideways to look at him. I knew he had already suspected there was something going on between me and Gojo. But I never talked about it with him nor with anyone. Because I honestly still don't know what I was doing with him myself.