Part Three: Chapter 23

The cool breeze of October blew through my hair as we sat in the school's yard. Me, Yuji, Megumi and Nobara were gathered sitting on the ground, too deep into carving our Halloween pumpkins.

It's been two weeks now since that night in my room, where Satoru confessed his feelings for me. I still haven't given him an answer. But we've become too close to one another. Even the students and the people close to us noticed this. And it was all fine by me, because I still like him, and he still loves me, but we were just not there yet, relationship wise. So we were not officially together, or a couple or whatever..

"Ugh.. This's too disgusting" Nobara exclaimed as she pulled her hand out of a pumpkin, all slimy and sticky.

Yuji sniggered. "You kill curses and this's what makes your stomach sick?"

"Shut up!"

"It's just a vegetable, and it's not that disgusting, here.." Yuji raised his sticky fingers and started inching them towards Nobara's face.

"Keep that away from me and my hair.."

"Guys, guys!" I snapped at them, barely suppressing my smile. "Enough! Can we focus, please! We need to finish these before sunset." I returned to carving my pumpkin. My face scrunched when I looked down at it, as the face I was carving looked more like a curse than a ghost, which was what I intended to carve.

"Ania, do you think I can leave early today?" I heard Megumi speak for the first time in a while next to me, he's been sitting silently this whole time.

"Hm! Yea, sure. It's not a class, Gumi, you can leave. But why? You have a date or something?" I said teasingly without lifting my eyes at him, my brows furrowing at my misshaped pumpkin. Yuji and Nobara were still bickering in the background.

"No.. um, just need to see someone.." Megumi murmured as he started gathering the bits and seeds of his pumpkin.

"Oh, sure. You want me to take you there?" I said when I realized the deep and serious tone in his voice.

During those weeks, and after the massive attack on our school during the exchange event, me and Megumi grew more close. Now that Satoru knows my reasons to get close to him, and he basically gave me his blessing, we started spending more time together after classes. Sometimes with Satoru and sometimes without him, but as a result, me and Gumi became best friends.

I dropped my carving knife when my phone started ringing all of a sudden in my pocket. My hands were too sticky and dirty to pick it up so I just ignored it. When it stopped ringing, I finally lifted my face at Megumi and saw him frowning, a deep line forming between his eyebrows as he stared intently at the pumpkin between his hands.

"Hey..." He got startled and jerked to look up at me. "What's wrong?" I said.

"Nothing, just got distracted.." He started getting up. "I'll go wash up and get ready to leave, this was fun, Ania. Thanks."

"Okay, hey, text me when you come back, I wanna talk to you, okay?" I said and stared at him as he started gathering his things.

Knowing him, I knew something was not right and he was trying his best not to make it obvious.

Megumi nodded as he turned and started walking away. I kept looking at him until he disappeared inside the school.

"You idiot! You're always this messy and...."

I turned to both Nobara and Yuji. "Both of you, shut the fuck up.." they froze and turned their heads to look at me. Nobara's hand holding the carving knife at Yuji, who was piling pumpkin seeds in his fists to throw them at her.