Chapter 17.

Jax

The next morning Nicole was over at the house bright and early for the day at the park. I told her I'd come to get her, but she was adamant about just coming by the house instead. I didn't expect her by so early but I didn't protest when she began to make breakfast and pack a cooler for a picnic. I was nervous that planning this day with her would be too painful, like a reminder of my time with Tara, but I surprisingly felt calm. Nothing with Nicole felt unnatural or uncomfortable, and for that I was grateful.

While on the way, I even found it in myself to play road games with the boys and Nicole. Abel was absolutely loving it and seeing the smile on his face made me smile. He's been through so much with Tara passing away, and I know that this outing would be beneficial to him.

Even as we got to the park, his high never seemed to dissipate. Nicole and I tag-teamed with keeping up with him until both of us sent him off to ride one of the animal seesaws while we watched him from a safe distance. Thomas was easier as Nicole distracted him with blocks and colorful toys that he eventually became too entranced with to play with her anymore.

I watched with a smile on my face as Nicole cheered Abel on from where she sat and took multiple pictures of him and Thomas with her camera. She looked like a proud parent seeing their child do something amazing. Abel loved every bit of her attention and would constantly call out her name so that she could see him do something cool.

"Wow!" she yelled as he slid down the biggest slide in the park. He was so proud of himself when he called out our names. I gave my son a gulf clap that made his face light up until he ran around the park to play with something else.

"Thanks for coming out with us today, you're great with them."

Nicole looked over at me with a smile on her face, "thanks for inviting me, this was really fun. Abel absolutely loves it," she showed me the photos she managed to capture of the boys, all showcasing how happy they were.

I looked over at Nicole in admiration while she was shuffling through the photos. She was doing nothing special in particular, but somehow she was doing everything that mattered. I never thought that I'd be having eyes for a fed, or an ex-fed at that, but Nicole had somehow shown up and managed to be exactly what my boys needed.

I situated myself on the blanket that Nicole had spread out and put my head on her lap. She didn't say anything as I just laid there and used her thighs as a pillow. She was wearing a pair of shorts so I ran my hand up and down the lower portion of her legs. They were smooth and smelled of cocoa butter and maybe a hint of vanilla.

Nicole kept one hand on her camera while the other was playing in my hair. I began to tease her as I tickled the back of her knee in a playful manner. She doubled over me as she began to laugh and her hand fell at my side to return the favor. I jolted at the foreign feeling of her fingers, and then we managed to get into a wrestling match to keep from getting tickled by the other.

I didn't even remember that Abel was watching until he came up from behind me. His small body tackled me and then I broke away from Nicky to peel him off back and begin tickling him. His high-pitched laughs filled my ears and Nicky began to poke and prod at him which caused him to laugh even further. We only let him up when his face became beet red from laughing so much.

He was all sweaty from running around and that's when I knew it was time to go. The boys would need to wash up and have dinner soon, and I would have to go meet up with the guys. So, I loaded everyone up in the car so that I could drop Nicole and the boys off at my house.

I was thinking about telling Nicole about Marks soon but the day was going so well, that I couldn't pin a simple moment to tell her. And to be quite honest, I didn't want Nicole to become upset with me. We were having such a good day, and I didn't want the day to end on a sour note.

I decided I'd tell her when I came home for dinner tonight. The day would be over and the boys would be down for bed. I contemplated all this as I pulled into a gas station because I needed gas and Nicole needed to use the restroom.

However, as Nicole stepped out of the car I noticed that some stranger's eyes were glued to her. He couldn't see me as I filled up the tank, but I could see him, clearly. Nicole was grabbing her purse from the backseat and she was slightly bent over. His eyes remained unmoving and if it hadn't been for the click of the gasoline pump, I don't think he would ever stop looking at her.

Nicole was completely oblivious to the man as she dug through her large purse for her wallet. Seeing him eyeball her didn't bode well with me, and I wasted no time in putting my hand on the exposed portion of her lower back. The man straightened and turned his head when I slid two fingers into the waistband of her shorts, and let my other fingers spread out over one of her pockets.

Nicole lifted up her head looking confused by my sudden possessiveness. "Did you want me to buy a leash while I was in there?" Her question was sarcastic but a playful smile showed on her lips. I rolled my tongue against my cheek as she laughed at me. The sight of seeing me act possessive seemed like the funniest thing in the world to her.

I pulled her close by her chin and planted a quick peck on her lips, "no, just get me a pack of Morleys, I'm not really into leashes, but we can try whatever you're into darlin'."

Nicole's eyes widened and she lightly smacked my chest as she left me to go inside the gas station. I watched her walk away as she turned around to stick her tongue out at me and I returned the gesture. The boys were fast asleep in the backseat and for the first time in a long time, I felt really good. However, that all ended when I received a call from Chibs.

"Jackie, we have a problem."

"What is it? What's going on?" I asked curiously. I was expecting something bad, but I couldn't possibly have imagined what I'd heard.

"Marks got Bobby, sent a video along with his finger and his eye to the cabin. We're on borrowed time Jackie, and I'm afraid we're running out."

The phone fell from my hand as I tried to control my breathing. I hadn't even noticed Nicole's return until she reached out and put her hand on my shoulder. I could hardly articulate what I'd been told as I buried my face in the crook of her neck and muffled my cries. So much for having a perfect day.