Chapter 5.

Nicole

"Next!" I pushed my cart forward as the cashier took the next person. I was at the grocery store stocking up on whatever my dad's house didn't have. And by the looks of it, it seemed like I was buying stuff for the whole house. He had close to nothing in the fridge or the pantry, so my cart was filled to the brim with everything I could think of.

I was checking out the magazines as the line began to move when I heard someone whispering harshly with someone else. I would have just continued to mind my business if I didn't hear the words, "just take the picture!" Said far too loudly to be discreet. My curiosity grew and I took my chances by looking up to see what all the commotion was about, and right about the same time I lifted my head I saw someone pointing their phone at me. I was startled when I heard the loud click of their camera phone and the embarrassing red that flooded the woman's cheeks.

During the beginning of my trial, I was always flooded with cameras. Back in San Diego, news reporters would practically camp outside my home to get a good look at me. It got so bad that I gave up on interacting with the world.

However, that was three years ago, and I've been exonerated from the crime. I naively thought that with exoneration came privacy. But considering I was being photographed without my knowledge, I guess exoneration meant nothing.

"May I help you with something?" I asked the two women in a tone that showed my annoyance. The one who took the picture looked away from me as if I hadn't confronted her, but the other one was bolder and shot back at me angrily. "This is a good, nice town we don't need the likes of you here!"

I was taken aback by her words and I felt the anger starting to rise in my chest. Although, after three years in prison, the only way I knew how to resolve an issue was by fighting. And I had no intention of going back to prison or spending a night in jail because of this moron.

I tried my best to ignore her and move along with my line, but then she started to shout. "That woman is a murderer!" in front of the whole store. She grabbed everyone's attention as she began squawking like a bird in heat. I thought the skin on my knuckles would rip from how tightly I was holding onto my cart.

I noticed the security guard holding onto the taser in his holster and I scoffed. His eyes were set on me like I was the threat and not the woman who was being a disturbance. I grabbed my purse out of the cart and walked right out of the store without my groceries. The woman kept shouting behind me, but I tuned her out as I fled for my dad's truck.

Once I was inside I didn't drive off initially. I was too angry to do so as I slammed my horn repeatedly for a release of my anger. Patterson was right in some ways, I was angry, and bottled-up anger was not healthy. But what she didn't mention was the anger of someone who was innocent. Not only were you angry that you were falsely accused, but you were angry because everyone believed the accusation. I did the right thing and I told the truth, but there was no reward on earth for a righteous person.

Knock, knock.

I turned my attention to my window and saw Gemma standing there. I was surprised to see her since I never even saw her in the grocery store. "Hey," I said rolling down my window to greet her.

"Hey, that was quite a show in there," she said offering a small smile. I exhaled through my nose and rolled my eyes. "Care to tell me what that little parrot was going on about?"

I looked Gemma in the eye, studying her. I gave her a sarcastic smile and said, "she was just talking about nonsense."

Gemma sucked her teeth and let out a dry laugh, "you're funny, you should be a comedian." She moved her sunglasses to the top of her head and said, "come help me with your groceries."

I furrowed my brows and got out of the car to see the cart I left all bagged up. "Did you buy these for me?" I asked her in complete shock.

Gemma made a face, "no, I just grabbed some bags and walked out of the store." I returned the same face and shook my head at her.

"What was the total, I have to pay you back."

Gemma put up her hand in protest, "I won't take your money."

I sucked my teeth, "well, today you do. How much do I owe you?"

"A thank you will suffice."

"Would you only take a thank you?" I said placing my hand on my hip.

Gemma just stared at me until a smile broke out on her face, "touché. I'll take a thank you next time, someone offers to buy me something." I rolled my eyes after realizing that Gemma wouldn't take the money. She smiled to herself when I finally gave in and we loaded up the groceries into the bed of the truck.

"Thank you," I said finally.

"You're welcome," Gemma said before walking away. She had a walk about her that told me she knew her place in the world. She was confident in who she was. A trait that took most women years to build. It gave me all the more reason to be curious about what it is she did. Our conversation at the bar last night told me that Gemma was hiding so much more than she led on. But so was I, so I guess that's how I knew the look of someone who was brimming with secrets.

When she was completely out of my view, I had every intention of just forgetting about the woman in the grocery store. But when I saw her walking towards her car, something inside of me just snapped. Before I knew it I was speed walking over to her with the knife on my keys on full display. The fear that was in her eyes when she saw me coming was an image I wanted to keep forever.

She thought I was going to kill her, but I walked right past her and gutted one of her tires instead. "What are you doing!" she screamed from behind me. I turned my attention to her and got in her face, "next time it won't be one of your tires. Think about that next time." A whimper escaped her lips as I glared at her, and then I walked away from the scene. I thought no one had seen what I did, but then I heard a honk of a horn and saw Gemma smiling at me from her car. I chuckled lightly to myself as I slipped inside my truck and drove home.