Chapter 14.

Jax

I pulled into Nicole's parking lot after picking the boys up from Red Woody. Being that Wendy had joined Unser to go get my mom, and Brooke had a family emergency, I currently had no sitter for the boys. I would have watched them myself, but I had way too much to do today with the club.

While pulling up I noticed Nicole's dad sitting outside on the porch. He seemed so amazed by the world around him, and I wondered briefly if bringing the boys here was a good idea. I'm sure Nicole's dad was a nice man, but I didn't know if it was too much to handle to watch him plus two young boys.

However, then Nicole walked outside and handed him a glass of lemonade. She immediately noticed my SUV parked out front and she waved at me politely. But I could tell from the look on her face that she was frustrated. I thought she was frustrated with me until I saw Patterson emerge from inside the house. She must have stopped by for a surprise visit after seeing me with Nicole yesterday.

Nicole sprinted over to the car and opened Abel's door. "Hi buddy!" she said enthusiastically. Abel greeted her with the exact same energy as she helped him out of his car seat. I got out doing my best to play along with whatever Nicole was cooking up. I never knew what side of her I was getting when Patterson was near.

I grabbed Thomas and the bag that Brooke managed to pack for the boys. "Hey Darlin," I said approaching Nicole with an unsure smile. Nicole returned a mischievous smile on her face and pulled me in for a hug. "Are you staying honey?" she asked me sweetly.

"Um, no I got to go handle something but I'll come right back after."

"Okay," Nicole said loudly, "don't forget that we have dinner tonight. So don't be late."

I bit my bottom lip to keep from laughing. The interaction just felt so awkward and unnatural, and considering that Abel was looking between me and Nicole curiously, didn't make the situation any better.

"Abel why don't you go inside and watch some Tv, I think they are playing your favorite show." Nicole gave Abel a gentle scoot as he made his way toward the door. He looked back at me one more time before waving goodbye, and then I handed Thomas to Nicole. She gladly took him as he latched on to her and held her like a koala.

I could see Patterson eyeing us suspiciously, and I felt more confident now that Abel wasn't around. I didn't want to confuse my kid, especially if this was all just a game for Nicole. "You two seem comfortable," Patterson commented.

"Yeah, you could say that," I said pulling Nicole closer to my body. She relaxed into me but never took her eyes off Patterson. The conversation they were having before must have really ticked her off to make her react this way.

"Funny, I would have never seen that coming."

"Well you were never really that observant," Nicole said snarkily.

I did my best to hide my shock because I never pictured Nicole speaking so boldly. I had to make a mental note to ask her what her deal was with Patterson because it was very obvious that she hated her.

"I guess you should be going now, wouldn't want to keep you from your desk," Nicole continued on with the same tone, and I gently pressed my fingers on her hip to get her to stop. The last thing I needed was Patterson trying to make a surprise visit to my house.

"Hmm," Patterson smiled to herself, "I guess you're right. It's always a pleasure seeing you Nicole." Patterson began to walk towards the car that pulled up for her. "Oh and Nicole, I meant what I said in there, I wouldn't want you getting mixed up in the wrong things."

I could see the smoke coming out of Nicole's ears as Patterson gave her one last look. I was taken aback by her words because I knew that the wrong thing had to be me. But what I couldn't decide is if whether Nicole was upset because Patterson was judging me or if she didn't like being told what to do.

However, my questions would have to be answered another time because before I could fully turn my head back to Nicole, I felt the warmth of her sticky lips on mine. I was completely surprised by the action but I didn't bother moving. I just let her kiss me until I had the mind to remember how to kiss back.

All I kept thinking about was how weird, flavored lip gloss tasted. I mean I could tell it was cherry, but there was something artificial and pasty about the taste. When she broke away, she looked shocked that she even had gone through with it, and then a sea of embarrassment clouded her features.

I didn't want her to feel bad for kissing me, but I was also shocked that it happened. I didn't even bother looking back to see if Patterson was still standing there, because I knew she was already gone.

"Jax," Nicole began, looking extremely apologetic. "I am so sorry, I don't even know what came over me. I shouldn't have taken things that far."

I licked my lips and was re-met with the same cherry flavor from before. "Well, it's definitely a first, I've never had someone regret kissing me." I smiled at her, trying to make light of the situation. But the remorse on her face was still there. "You want to tell me what she said that pissed you off so much?"

Nicole took a deep breath, "she basically came over here to warn me about dating you. Telling me that I was wasting my freedom and that I should look into going back into the field."

"And that got you upset?"

"Yes," Nicole scoffed, "she has no right to come in here and tell me what to do with my life. I can see whoever I want, and the absolute nerve of her to think that she can just ask me to come back to the field as if I retired, or there was some kind of misunderstanding."

"So, other than the obvious, why aren't you running to go back into the field?"

Nicole looked down and shook her head, "I can't justify in my head going back to those people, Jax. I trusted them like really trusted them. These are people who went to my kid's birthdays, I invited them to family functions and treated them like blood, only for them to treat me like a criminal. I can't go back and bump shoulders with them like all that didn't happen. I don't trust them and if I learned anything, without trust, nothing can be salvaged."

"Do you trust me?" I asked curiously.

Nicole locked eyes with me for a moment, studying me. "That depends, do you trust me?

I snorted, "a question with a question, nice touch. Well, I trust you enough to watch my kids, and I trust that your kisses are as sweet as you are."

Nicole's eyes widened and she looked away sheepishly. "Why did I think that you'd let that go?"

"Oh, no I could never let this go. I'm going to be tasting cherry for the rest of the day."

"Well savor the taste, because you won't be getting any other flavors," Nicole said adjusting Thomas on her hip.

"Well, that's too bad," I sighed heavily shoving my hands in my pockets. "Good thing I have Patterson on speed dial when I get a craving."