Chapter 13.

Nicole

I took a deep breath before walking into the police station. I had gathered up all I could on Lin as a favor to Jax. A favor I was regretting with each passing second that I spent in this station. My foot was tapping like crazy and if Jarry didn't see me soon, I was going to stomp a hole into the floor.

"Mrs. Booker?" I jumped up at the sound of my name. I couldn't place why I was so nervous, but everything about this felt too familiar. I used to walk into police stations all the time, flashing my badge and barking out orders. But now, I didn't want to be anywhere near this place for as long as I lived.

"Hi, just Diana," I said shaking hands with Jarry. She nodded her head and escorted me into her office and gestured toward the chair. "I don't need to sit down; this won't take long."

Jarry's eyebrows went up in surprise but she didn't say anything as I handed her the notepad with everything Jax told me as well as everything I could remember. Jarry scanned the paper with her eyes and then looked up at me in shock, "I don't even want to ask you if all of this is accurate because your track record speaks for itself. You were a remarkable detective, I'm glad to see that the skill is not lost."

"Thank you, I'm just doing this as a favor to a friend." Jarry nodded her head and then placed the notebook down on her desk. My eyebrows drew together in confusion, "you might want to take care of that now if you want this to move quickly."

Jarry put her hand up, "I know, I'll get to it right away, it's just that...it's obvious that you love doing this. Why don't you come back to the field? Help us right the wrongs instead of shaking hands with the people you used to get paid to put away."

I was taken aback by Jarry's words. If I had known that I'd be receiving a lecture, I would have dumped the information anonymously. "Look, I appreciate...whatever this is, but you hardly know me."

Jarry nodded her head, "you're right, I don't know you. But I do know Jax Teller, and I know that getting mixed up in that stuff won't help you. if you're playing the long game and just want to use them for intel, then I could help you."

"I don't need help," I snapped. "And quite frankly I don't appreciate you making those kinds of judgments about my boss." Suddenly, I felt a sudden protectiveness over Jax that I had never felt before. Nothing she was insinuating was untrue, but painting him as a monster when the real monsters were the people who wore badges made me see red.

"Mrs. Booker," Jarry began.

"It's Miss. And if you really wanted to help me and 'right the wrongs' as you call it. The first person you'd be itching to put away was every cop, detective, and district attorney who handled my case and decided that I was guilty because they are the ones who need to be put away."

"I didn't mean to offend you," Jarry said hopping off the desk.

I ignored her, "just be ready to arrest Henry Lin today." I turned on my heels and walked out of her office without a second thought. I was completely over her and everyone else telling me how to live my life. As if working with them was any better than working with Jax, at least I could trust him.

"You good?" Jax asked me when I walked out of the station. He insisted on taking me down here himself, even though I reassured him about a dozen times that I could make the drive. We were still on lockdown and it wasn't going to be lifted until Henry was in police custody.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said not meeting his eyes. Jax gave me a look but didn't say anything to me as he handed me a helmet. I was about to get on the bike but then I saw Patterson standing across the parking lot looking at us. I could tell by the look on her face that she wasn't expecting to see us together. And whether or not she thought the scene looked romantic, her judgmental expression annoyed me.

I exhaled through my nose like a bull and turned my back on Patterson. Jax could tell that seeing her bothered me but he didn't say anything. I swung my leg over the back of his bike and snuggled up to him. Which was a complete 180 from how I was when I first got on the bike. Before, I sat as far away as I could from him, but now I was sitting so close that I could smell his hair gel.

"Comfortable back there?" I could practically hear Jax's smile forming on his lips.

"Extremely," I said giving him a gentle squeeze around his torso.

Jax let out a chuckle before making the bike take off. I was glad he was being cool about me using him in front of Patterson and not taking it personally. And I enjoyed being on his bike and feeling the wind hit my face, while my heart leaped at every turn and acceleration Jax made.

When we got back to Red Woody Jax parked in front of the doors. However, before I could leave he held my hand causing me to stand there. "Thank you for helping me out today, I really appreciate you doing what you did."

"It was nothing, I just hope you know what you're doing."

"Getting Henry Lin and ending the Lin Triade is the right thing. I know you're unsure about this all right now, but I'll make sure that nothing happens to my boys or you. Now please go inside before I leave."

"Why? You want to watch me walk away?" I said inserting a joke to lighten the situation.

"Is Patterson around? You want to add a kiss to make her really mad?"

A smile came on my face as I tried to act surprised, "that is not what happened!"

"Yeah, and I was born yesterday. Whatever Darlin just give me a heads-up next time you want to cause a scene. I want to really play my role next time," Jax winked at me and my cheeks burned. I had to contain myself from wobbling towards the door because I knew he was watching me. And the look on his face told me that he wanted me to know that too.

A Vow of SilenceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara