19.caractère

January 2005 | H E R

"Oh, good." Draco's head pokes through her office door on friday noon. "You're still here."

"Barely." She packs the rest of the files into her satchel before closing the flap and swinging it on her shoulder. "Is there something that you want, because I'm already out the door."

"Yes." He stops her with hands on her shoulders, blocking her way out. "I need a favor."

"What is it?" It comes out more impatient than intended, but she would be half way through the building right now already.

Maybe she is obsessive over the time she spends with her father, but these are literally the last moment she has. The last love she can give him. She won't apologize for taking that time.

His pause is irritating her further but before she can complain, he says, "I have a lunch with my parents, they let me know just this morning, and I want you to come with me."

Surprise and confusion pull her brows together. "Why?"

"I..." he rubs the back of his neck, feeling uncomfortable. "I need you. Please. I don't know what he wants. I barely meet with him like this."

Realisation dawn on her. His father is there. He is supposed to sit through a meal with his father and considering what she has witnessed so far, their relationship is strained.

And he needs her help. He asked her.

Who is she to say no?

But my father...

"I know I'm asking a lot because you would be off somewhere by now, but I really wouldn't ask if I wouldn't..." he sighs, looking embarrassed for his desperation, "if I wouldn't need you."

Seeing that Lucius Malfoy isn't the first person Tiana would like to spend her time with and the other way around, she only agrees reluctantly.

It's the urgency in Draco's eyes that sells her. He really, really needs his friend. For whatever reason.

"Alright," she flares a hand. "Lead the way."

"Really?" He thought she would say no. "Thank you."

The weight that has been lifted off his shoulders is enough to be secure in her answer. She would do anything to help him out.

He will have to pay for this.

Already, when Draco arrived in the fine french restaurant called Caractère with Tiana by his side, Lucius has sent them both a very badly covered scowl.

Greeting was stiff, sitting down was stiff, ordering food was stiff, small-talk is stiff. Tiana gets now why Draco wouldn't like eating any meal with his father. He tries so much to be intimidating and sadly, it works.

Tiana feels judged with every movement she does, no matter how minor they are. She is usually head on, face whatever life throws at you, but right now, she really doesn't want to be here.

It's Draco's thigh pressed against hers that keeps her in place. That reminds her why she is sitting here. His knee keeps bouncing, no matter how many times she tries to stop it with her hand, unbeknowist to his parents. Because above the table, he seems composed. Calm and dare she say, relaxed.

She's never seen anything like it. Has never witnessed him slipping on a mask. Not like this. It's crazy.

Just alone for the fact that Draco has to hide from his father as a grown man, Tiana feels a strong resentment. Having grown up in the loving environment that she did, it's hard to find tolerance for something else.