Surprise - Willow

- I did good a job at my competition and now that it's over I can get back to writing more! Thanks to the people who wished me luck. ALSO thank you for 300 reads! This story is growing so fast! Happy reading :) -

-August 25th-

Luz's clock went of at 9:30 in the morning. Everyone else was pretty groggy, except for Luz and I, who spent all night setting up and still weren't tired. It was time for Hunters surprise party.

Everyone snuck downstairs. There were pancakes on the table because, well. They were Hunters favorite breakfast food.

"Okay, Flapjack is gonna wake him up in five minutes, everyone get ready." Camila said, setting a second plate of pancakes on the table. 

I set his present on the table too. It was wrapped in a red and green wrapping paper. Luz said it was for "christ-mouse" but it was the only wrapping paper they had.

Suddenly, Flapjack let out a chirp, letting us know that Hunter was coming. We all ran to hide in different corners of the kitchen. 

He walked in, his hair messy and one of his pant legs rolled up to his knee for some reason. 

"SURPRISE!" We all yelled. 

He sure did look surprised. But he looked happy. In a second, he went from looking groggy, to freaked out, to excited. 

"What is this for?" He asked. 

"Willow told me that you never got to celebrate anything before, not even your birthday." Camila said. 

Luz jumped up and threw a pancake at Hunter. "So we thought we would start now! You're family Hunter! You deserve a birthday party at least."

He teared up as he bit into the pancake. 

We all sat down at the table and I slid the present across the table to him. "What's this?" He asked.

"It's a present. People usually give them on birthdays." I said. 

"Willow is gonna try and say it's from all of us but really it was all her idea." Luz explained, picking at the tape on the side of the present.

Hunter looked me in the eyes from across the table with a look that said 'thank you'. He didn't even need to say it. 

He picked at the wrapping paper until it revealed the lava lamp from yesterday. He looked at me excitedly. "Its the lamp from yesterday!"

I nodded. "You seemed to like it so much I decided.. Well I got it for you before I asked you about the birthday thing but I decided I wanted to give it to you either way."

He smiled at me with that look again. I hid my face. I couldn't handle that. 

Everyone just enjoyed the rest of breakfast while I tried to be strong. Like, for the love of titian, I am so strong. I couldn't handle Hunter simply looking at me though? What was wrong with me??

No, no. It wasn't just him looking at me. It was that look. That look that spoke. 

"So, Hunter. What do you wanna do today? You get to choose." Camila said. 

"Ooh! We should take them to a trampoline park today!" Luz offered, hitting the bottom of her fork onto the table excitedly. 

All eyes went to Hunter. A trampoline park sounded intriguing. But it was his choice. 

He nodded. "I don't have any idea what that is but it sounds fun." 

Luz cheered. It did sound fun.

"Okay, you all have your wristbands right?" Camila asked. We all held our arms up to show the neon orange bands that covered our wrists. "Alright-y good. Now for the socks."

"But we already have socks on!" Gus said, holding his foot up. 

"Yes, of course." Camila replied, using a finger to slowly push his foot back onto the ground. "But you need special socks on these trampolines so you don't fall and hurt yourself. Then they have a ton of paperwork to sign if it's serious and they don't want to deal with that."

The socks we were given were dark dark gray with sort of sticky orange things at the bottom. They felt kind of weird but Camila said they were to keep us from falling. 

The trampoline park was... something. It was just covered with black squares and obstacle courses. 

Luz approached one of the black squares and jumped on it. She went so high up into the air that Amity literally gasped.

"How did she do that?" Hunter asked. 

Luz came back down and took Amity's hands in her own, pulling her towards the trampoline. They walked on it, the black part of the floor seemingly sinking a bit under their feet. 

Amity looked unsure, and with a wink, Luz jumped again, sending her and Amity into the air again.

Once everyone saw that Amity was okay with it they all went to their own black squares. But I was guessing they weren't called black squares. I thought they were they trampolines of this trampoline park.

Hunter looked as cautious - if not more - than Amity. He silently stood in front of a trampoline. 

"You alright?" I asked. 

"Yeah, yeah. It's just strange." He said, poking the trampoline with his foot. 

I looked at Luz and Amity who held hands while jumping up and down. If Luz the hopeless romantic could do it then so could I.

I reached down and took Hunter's hand. He looked up at me, startled, but neither of us let go. 

"It's okay. How about we figure out the strange things together instead of just standing alone?" I said, the warmth of his hand sending tingles up my arm. 

We walked onto the trampoline together, wobbling each step we took on it. 

When we were in the middle I jumped. Whatever the trampoline was made of sent us into the air.

We fell back down rather quickly and we both lost our footing the second we hit the trampoline. Hunter fell backwards but I was able to regain my balance. I did a spin jump and couldn't help but laugh. This was fun!

I glanced at Hunter as he just stared up at me, red in the face. I wished I could know what he was thinking. I don't think he would tell me if I just asked. But watching him look at me like that was enough.