Denial - Hunter

- I usually watch shows or movies on another window while I write and man, it was a bad idea to watch Bird Box. 

It's a great movie, and I'm a sucker for horror but man it does not mix well with huntlow fanfics ngl.

P.S. I'm scarred for life. P.P.S swear warning. Happy reading :) -

I blinked open my eyes. I wasn't in the basement. Light spilled in through the windows and the air felt warmer.

 I took a breath in through my nose and glanced around. Gus was tucked into a little ball on the floor, next to Luz and Amity who were leaning on each other comfortably. 

Vee was laying on the couch next to me, sprawled out, taking up most of the space. Camila was on a chair with her arm up on the side, balancing her chin on it.

Everyone was sleeping peacefully. I leaned my head back and it sat on something that definitely wasn't the couch. I turned my head and there was Willow.

She had her legs tucked close to her chest, her arms wrapped around her knees, leaning slightly onto the arm of the couch. 

My face burned as I looked at her. 

Her hair seemed to drip down her shoulders, coming down in small  waves because she had her braids in all day the day prior. Her round, golden rimmed glasses sat low on the bridge of her nose and tipped to the side a little.

I sat up, on the edge of the couch and sighed.

This was stupid.

Luz rolled over at my feet and grinned up at me. "What were you lookin' at?~" She said, resting her chin on her hands.

I glared down at her, silent. 

"How long have you been awake?" I asked, finally. I crossed my arms, hoping she was just messing around.

"Long enough." She said standing up. "You were totally gushing over her dude." She jabbed her finger at me and I slapped it away.

"She just startled me. I wasn't even looking at her... t-that long."

She laughed. "Dude, you look like a tomato." 

I raised my eyebrow at her. What the fuck is a tomato? 

Her face fell. I guess I 'killed her vibe'. 

"You're super red." 

"That doesn't explain what a tomato is but whatever. ... Also no I'm not."

She patted the top of my head aggressively. "Awwwe you're so cute when you're in denial."

I pushed her arm away with a glare but she continued smiling at me.

"C'mon let's go make something." She grabbed my arm and dragged me into the kitchen. 

She crouched down and started rummaging through the cupboard. "You wanna help me make crepes?" She asked. What was a crepe? There were too many foods in the human realm. "Just assume I don't know what anything is." I replied, leaning against the table.

She shrugged. "It's like a really thin pancake that you roll up with other foods kinda like a taco." I liked pancakes and tacos so a pancake taco should be really good. 

Luz pulled a pan out of the cupboard and flipped it in her hands a few times. "I could totally hit you with this right now." She said. "But I won't because I'm so nice." She placed the pan on the stove and grabbed a bowl.

"Gee thanks."

Luz made the crepe batter in the bowl and poured it into the pan. I did help. A little. I grabbed things from the fridge. That was helpful. I liked being helpful. Knowing I actually had a use. Getting ingredients wasn't as important as being the golden guard but it was something.

Camila came into the kitchen and yawned. "What are you two doing?" she asked. 

Luz slid a crepe down onto a pile of other crepes. I wanted to eat them so bad. I loved pancakes. "We're making crepes!" She said happily. 

I stared at the plate longingly and Luz pointed to the fridge. "You wanna get out some stuff to put in them? We have fruits, whipped cream, Nutella, syrup... you know what most of those are right?" 

I nodded. It took a little while to find everything but when I did, I set it all up on the table.

People started waking up and coming into the kitchen. When Luz was done cooking, she showed everyone how to put the fillings of your choice and then fold the crepe up. 

I filled mine with fruits, whipped cream, and chocolate. And it was so good! Really really good. It was a good start to the day. We planned on working on the portal today too.

"Gus! Get Emmiline away from the door!" Luz said. Gus picked up his paliceman and held her close. "It's Emmiline Bailey Marcostimo to you!" He said, walking away and placing her onto the hamster wheel with the other palicmen. 

We were trying to make a portal door run by palicmen as an energy source instead of titan's blood. Emmiline was slow and didn't help much though.

I connected the last clip to the door and gave a thumbs up.

It worked for a second. A messy second, before it sort of.. exploded. I stumbled back, away from the door and Gus ran up to it, swinging a big red bottle at it.

Vee took the bottle from him and turned it right side up, then used it to put out the fire with a weird white foam.

Luz sank to the ground, slipping her hat off. Amity crouched beside her and patted her on the back gently. "It's okay. This is only our first attempt of the day."

We all knew Luz felt responsible for failed attempts before. It made her feel like she wasn't good enough. She was desperate to get back to the Boiling Isles but no one had a way to actually get there safely. Or really get there at all.

I could see why Camila wanted us to take breaks. This could get stressful, especially the failing aspect.

Luz stood up and wiped a tear from her face. I walked up to her. "Taking an entire groups failure as your own isn't good for you. You can't blame yourself." I said.

She grabbed me in a hug, something I was still getting used to. Luz might be annoying 90% of the time but I still cared. I cared about her. And she cared about me. I didn't get a lot of mutual caring throughout my life and it was a good thing to have.

"Thanks Hunter. Look at you being all wise 'n stuff." She said.

I pushed her away and she laughed. "Alright let's try again."

- I'm not joking that's her name -

- Also don't mind my bad grammar 

Another shorter episode today. But thank you so much for 100+ reads for this story! I think I started this 2 days ago? I'm not sure but thank you! -