#forty-eight#

Começar do início

"I'm gonna make this quick because I have another meeting to get to and a conversation to have with a much more important person."

Ouch. Hyde thinks to himself.

"Jahlil Collins. Name sound familiar?" Harper asks.

"Yeah.. He's the guy Dr. Min did surgery on a few weeks back. Last month. Gunshot wounds."

"Yeah, the guy he asked you to do the surgery on and you refused? Figured you'd remember. We haven't officially met. I'm Harper Taylor. Director Min's girlfriend. Jahlil's healthcare proxy."

Dr. Han's mouth falls open at the sudden revelation. He's stunned by the drop of news.

It explains why Yoongi didn't want to do the surgery. It explains why he asked him to do it. It explains why he was so worked up about the specifics of everything involving it.

"Wait-. So you're-?"

"His baby's mother. Yes. That's not what's important. What is important is that I'm still his legal healthcare proxy because he has yet to get me taken off despite the circumstances. As such, I was able to get a record of the surgeries that he's had here before since this wasn't his first emergency encounter."

"I-. Okay."

"July 10, 2021." Harper reads from a paper in the folder that she has. "Jahlil was admitted into the emergency department for multiple stab wounds which yourself and a Dr. Fratel facilitated the procedure to fix."

Dr. Han nods slowly as he looks at her. His eyebrows are slightly pinched together.

"Correct. But Dr. Fratel doesn't work here anymore. He resigned in October."

"September 16th, 2021." Harper continues. "Jahlil was rushed in and needed an emergency surgery for gunshot wounds to his chest and back. A surgery for which you had to escalate to the Director's board to get done because his healthcare proxy was unavailable for contact but it was life or death for him."

She looks up from the paperwork and Dr. Han who's nodding again. He looks moderately confused as to why he's being read information on himself.. or about himself. He's really confused as to why any of this is going on or where this conversation is supposed to lead.

"Yoongi asked you to take the surgery for him and you told him no. Why?" Harper asks.

Dr. Han blinks at her, frozen by her question.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean exactly what I just asked you. Yoongi called you to take the surgery for him and you refused. I want to know why. Is it because you didn't feel like escalating things to the Director again? Was it because you felt like you couldn't do it? That you weren't capable?"

"No." Dr. Han says in a clipped tone. "It wasn't because of the escalation process. It wasn't because I didn't think the at I could do it. It was because Mr. Collins is a repeat patient. As many procedures that he's had done, the one that Yoongi did should have killed him. He should not have survived. And I cannot, I couldn't-."

"You know, instead of taking notes from you and judging books by their covers, I'm going to judge you by your actions. You are a coward, Dr. Han." Harper stares at him.

"First and foremost, before anything, you are a coward. You knew that there was a great possibility Jahlil wouldn't make it so you refused to take his case even though Yoongi all but begged you to. This was a conflict of interest for him. If anything happens to Jahlil during the recovery, he could lose his job. He could lose his credibility because of his relationship with me. But you didn't know any of that." Harper shakes her head as she looks at him.