#thirty-seven#

"Oh my god

"Oh my god."

Hailey and Delilah stare through the mirror at Harper.

Harper stands there nervously, tapping her fingers against her thighs.

"Is that a good or a bad 'oh my god'?" She asks, getting ready to panic. "Does it look bad?"

"What? No." Delilah calms her before she deals out.

"No, no, no." Hailey says. "It looks great. You look beautiful, Harper. You always look beautiful but this is just different than what I've seen before. I mostly see you at work and you hair is in a bun or it's out and curly. I love this. The streaks of color are beautifully done."

Harper looks at her hair in the mirror, taking in the sight. She's got a shoulder length, middle part wig installed. It's jet black with waves in it. Two pieces of the front have been stripped of color and dyed a dark honey blonde, almost brown.

She hasn't seen herself look like this since before she had Onyx. Long before she had Onyx.

She hasn't seen herself look like this since a couple months after meeting Jahlil.

Harper used to always have her hair done in different styles. She used to always do her makeup. Not because she felt like she needed it, but because she liked doing it.

Makeup is an art form. Anyone can learn to do makeup. It takes time to learn but it's another form of expression. Some people enjoy it as a hobby and turn it into a craft. Some people make a career out of it.

It's all about preference.

Harper always preferred to do glam looks. She loved going out, she loved doing her makeup to match the occasion, to match her outfits. She was in love with herself.

Not narcissistic. Just very confident.

As she looks at herself in the mirror, she gets a glimpse of what she once was. Harper feels a sliver of what she once always felt.

Beautiful, strong, confident.

If only she always felt the way that she currently looks. She misses that piece of herself the most.

"Do you like it?" The hair stylist asks as Harper stares at herself.

"Yes." She smiles at the woman. "I love it. How much do I owe you?" She grabs her purse, digging around in it for her wallet.

"Oh, don't worry about it, honey. Your mother-in-law already paid for it."

"My-?" Harper closes her mouth and looks outside to her car.