#seventeen#

The heat of the June sun beats down on a grassy plain as the wind blows a cool breeze through

The heat of the June sun beats down on a grassy plain as the wind blows a cool breeze through. It's 82 degrees already and summer's just started. Due to the clear skies and lack of clouds in the sky, it feels at least 87.

A picnic blanket is laid out with an old fashioned basket on top of it. A half eaten ham sandwich and plastic wrap that once held two pb&j sandwiches are held in the hands of two young adults as the lie back on the blanket.

A man with pale skin and black hair smiles up at the sky as he and his girlfriend's adjacent arms, his right and her left, extend upwards. Their fingertips brush before their pinkies lock together.

He turns his head to look at her as a calm breeze blows by. Admiring her side profile, his eyes bounce over her features as her lips pull into a smile. She knows that he's looking at her. It's something that he does often.

He's always been an observer. He'll keep to himself as he assesses things. When he's ready to talk and engage, then he will. But he needs a second to feel things out. Or simply... admire them. He thinks much more than he actually speaks.

His head turns back toward the blue sky and he licks his lips before speaking. "Without the clouds, it feels hard to tell if the time is actually passing." He says thoughtfully.

When the clouds roll by, you know that the Earth is moving. You know that time goes on. But on clear days like this, it's almost as if the Earth is at a standstill. As if it's Mother Nature's way of telling people to stop and enjoy the time for what it is.

Who knows when another rainy day will come and wash everything away with its chaotic winds and melancholic atmosphere?

"Where do you think you'll be in ten years?"

Her question falls on the man's ears and he doesn't need to think about it. He knows already. He's sure of what his future will look like. He has high hopes and the biggest of dreams.

"A decade from now?" He rephrases her question. "I'll be 31." He thinks out loud. "I'll have degree by then, a nice paying job..." His eyes wander the sky for something to focus on.

Upon realizing that there's nothing that he can, he looks over at her.

"I'll be able to afford a good car and really nice house. I can save for it and just buy it. Won't even need to make a payment."

"Go big or go home, huh?" She smiles and he nods.

"Of course." He grins and his white teeth show between his thin pink lips. "We can get a three bedroom house, nothing too crazy."

"With a fenced in backyard?"

"Yes. With a fenced in backyard. I'm going to be making a lot more than a barista manager's salary, you know?" He teases, causing the woman to giggle.