#thirty-two#

"Harper?"

"Harper?"

Yoongi stands outside of the bedroom door hearing her sniffles and quiet sobs.

She's been home for about 45 minutes. Five of those minutes were spent hugging her sleeping son and kissing his chunky cheeks. The next 30 we're spent in the shower; bathing and basking in the heat of the steaming downpour.

The last 15 have been Harper getting dressed in comfortable pajamas and crying in her room.

She told Yoongi that she'd be out 'in a minute' when she first went in to get dressed. She'd taken Onyx with her so that he was under the warm toned lights the way that he usually is to sleep.

Yoongi say out in the living room as he waited patiently for her to come back out. She seemed pretty out of it and she returned from work hours earlier than her shift was scheduled to end.

And now, based on her crying, he knows that something isn't right. He hasn't heard her cry like this in several weeks. It hurts his hearts.

"Harper, can you tell me what happened, please?"

Yoongi's eyebrows are pulled together as he looks at the wooden door in front of him. His heart fills with anguish and he wants nothing more than to cease her somber cries.

"She yelled at me from the end of the hall. I had to sign them. She wouldn't leave me alone. She wasn't going to. I know she wasn't."

"What?" He's taken aback by the news. "Who yelled-? Can you open the door please?"

The idea of literally talking to a wall (of sorts) while trying to communicate isn't something that he particularly likes.

He isn't trying to overstep any boundaries at all. But this conversation will be a lot easier to have if he could see her. He wants to verify that she is okay, that she will be okay.

Harper gets up and opens the door. Yoongi looks at her puffy eyes and swollen cheeks. Her lip trembles as she sees the look in his eye.

Is it ruth?

Is it sympathy?

Pity?

She can't tell. But it makes her feel even worse than before.

How could she be this way in front of him? Crying like this? A pitiful mess. Such a shameful feeling.

She looks away from his eyes and cast them to the ground. It's unbearable to try and look him in this state.

And for that.... For that, Harper bawls.

Hands over her face, on the verge of collapsing, she breaks down.

The dam breaks, the tears fall. The forced strength of a young woman thrust into a life she never planned for finally crumbles.

Yoongi reaches out to catch her before she falls. Strong arms support her as she finds solace in the catharsis she's withheld for so long.