Chapter 13 [Book 1]

After convincing Ominis, I turned back to call out to Sebastian.

"Sebastian, over here!"

Sebastian jogged over as Ominis began to explain how to enter the scriptorium.

"These braziers grant access to the scriptorium."

Wand clutched in hand I examined the braziers, noticing there were three that stood out. In the background, Ominis and Sebastian continued to bicker.

"Now, you'll share? You wouldn't tell me when I practically begged."

"It wasn't you who told me what I needed to hear."

Ominis then mentioned to you, "opening the entrance has something to do with threes."

Sebastian remarked, "well - three heads are better than one."

That's what caught my attention, there were three braziers that had three gargoyle heads, and the rest didn't. Casting incendio, I let the fire spread as it lit all three braziers at once.

Looking back, one of the decorated arches embedded into the wall opened, revealing a secret entrance.

Ominis and Sebastian both gripped their wands in hand, "I hope we're ready for this."

Sebastian commented, "dark, ominous corridors, my favourite."

"Really?" Ominis spoke sarcastically.

"What it was good", Sebastian replied his hands held up.

Once we reached the bottom, I noticed a piece of parchment lying on the floor. A letter from Ominis' Aunt.

Sebastian peered over my shoulder, "Gaunt? Ominis - your family was here."

After reading the letter, I noticed a pile of rubble on the floor and looking around figured it was one of the many reliefs on the walls.

"Reparo", the relief repaired itself revealing, "a person facing a snake", Sebastian finished.

Then Ominis said something I didn't expect to hear, "that must be the voice I hear."

"You hear a voice?" I asked.

Ominis nodded, "it started when you repaired that relief. I heard a whisper saying, speak to me."

How odd! 

I never in my life have heard of someone hearing voices. Sure, maybe when someone was going a bit off the rails, but that's definitely not what Ominis is going through.

As though hearing my thoughts, Ominis answered what I was thinking, "I'm a Parselmouth - I can hear and speak to snakes. Nearly all known Parselmouths are descended from Salazar Slytherin."

This is the first time I've heard of a Parselmouth, intriguing, "I wish all Slytherins could talk to snakes."

Ominis shook his head, "you might not want the ability to speak Parseltongue. it's often associated with Dark wizards."

After figuring out that Parseltongue may be the key to opening the door, Ominis hesitantly spoke to it and fondly enough, the door opened.

"Wow Ominis, you possess a rare ability indeed."

Sebastian turned towards us, glaring at Ominis but not enough for you guys to notice, "between the two of you. I'm starting to feel left out."

Ominis spoke confused, "between the two of us?"

I couldn't help but notice how Sebastian wanted to say something else, but decided against, "I - never mind."

Definitely, something I had to talk with him in private about.