21- Attack Titan

Kruger picks up one of the men as he holds him tightly, crushing him in his grip.

The soldiers had their lives squeezed out of them like fruit being juiced and their scraps cast into the sea. I suppose I should explain what the sea is. The sea is a body of salt water that covers 70% of our world's surface.

Kruger dissipates from his titan as he walks back up the stairs of the cliff towards Grisha and Evelyn.

"Owl, who are you?" Grisha asks as he looks at Kruger.

"I am Eren Kruger" Eren says as he wipes the blood from his nose, "as you just saw, I possess one of the nine titans. In other words, I'm a Subject of Ymir, just like the two of you".

"You pretended to be a Marleyan and infiltrated Public Security?" Grisha questions as Evelyn looks up at Grisha, "what about the blood tests?".

"That was easy enough with the help of a doctor" Eren explains calmly, "doctors make good spies. In all honestly, you did very well. But in terms of result, Grice has every right to grieve like he did".

"You're absolutely right" Grisha says as he looks down, "I was a useless Father, a useless husband, and a useless man".

"Father, don't say that" Evelyn says as she squeezes Grisha's hand.

"And yet, why am I the only one that remains? It should just be Evelyn. She's the one who was supposed to lead us" Grisha says as he looks down at Evelyn, "Dina was someone special, being a Subject of Ymir with royal blood. Evelyn here, she's the same. The two of them can both tap into a titan's true power" Grisha says as he grabs Eren by his collar, "if you hadn't jumped in to keep me quiet, Dina would-. Answer me! Why did you only let me live?".

"Enough. Don't your fingers hurt?" Eren asks as Evelyn notices her Father's hand.

"Thanks so much for your concern!" Grisha says sarcastically.

"Father, what happened to you? What did they do to you?" Evelyn asks worriedly.

"Look, you didn't seem to care much when your comrades were chopping them off!" Grisha says as he ignores Evelyn for the time being, "well? If you had gone on a rampage in your titan form sooner, wouldn't the others not be titans right now? What happened when Evelyn tries to pass this cliff? She was injected with that serum that turned the others into a titan. Will she turn into a titan too? Will she be stuck here forever? What was the whole point of letting them become titans?" he asks as Eren falls to his knees, "what's wrong? You look pale".

"It was just fellow patriots" Eren says as he tries to catch his breath, "I severed thousands of Subjects of Ymir's fingers and made them into titans. Women and children, too. All while believing it was for the sake of Eldia. I don't have much time left, Grisha. I'm entrusting you with the final task. Not anyone else, just you and your daughter. That day, the first time I met you, if none of that had happened, you wouldn't have festered enough hatred of Marley to come this far".

"Is that the reason you chose me?" Grisha asks as he looks at Eren.

"That's part of it" Eren says as he looks at Grisha, "the country, your Father, yourself. The hate in your eyes was enough to burn the world to ashes. You lit that same fire under your daughter here. I was once like that, too. The royal family that stayed behind formed a revolution. My Father was part of it. However, they accomplished nothing at all and were burnt alive. I was so young, all I could do was peek through the closet door and watch. Ever since then, I've sworn revenge on Marley and the revival of Eldia. But all I've managed to do is cut the fingers off my fellow patriots, kick them off this wall, and watch them turn into titans. It's because of the things I've done that my true identity was never discovered. I'm no different than when I was little. Perhaps I'm still looking at the world through a crack from the closet".