18- Midnight Sun

"I should've known this would happen" Eren says as he looks down, "but I had no other choice but to rely on you. Armin. Why don't you run away?".

There are loud footsteps from nearby as Eren spots a titan coming towards them through the smoke, someone strapped on its back. Eren grabs hold of Bertolt, pulling him close.

"Shit! You just try come any closer" Eren says as he holds his blade up to Bertolt's neck, "make one move to take him and he's dead".

What's that? He's got titan marks around his eyes. Is he the Beast titan?

Eren wonders as he studies the man strapped to the titan's back.

"Are you Eren Jaeger?" Zeke asks as he looks at Eren, wonder in his eyes.

If nothing else, I'm taking him with me!

Eren yells as he presses his blade into Bertolt's neck.

"You look nothing like your Father" Zeke says as he tries to take a closer look at Eren, "believe me, I know what you're going through. We're both victims of your Father, including your sister, Evelyn. You've been brainwashed by him and she has too. I might be able to fix you but Evelyn's too far gone. But either way, I'm taking Evelyn home. Bertolt. I'm sorry, but I think it's the end for you. Eren! Someday I'm coming back to rescue you and your sister".

"He ran?" Eren questions as Zeke and the titan run off.

"Reiner, what's this metal case you had in your left pocket?" Hange asks as they show Reiner the metal case they found, "before we chopped off all your limbs, you tried to grab it with the strength you had left. Suicide pills? Or perhaps a bomb?".

"A letter" Reiner says quietly.

"A letter? What kind of letter?" Hange asks as they look at Reiner.

"A letter from Ymir" Reiner says as he looks at Hange, "you have to give it to Krista".

"Only after we've inspected it" Hange says as they look down, "now then, I've got a mountain of questions for you, but your lips seem as tight as your armour is hard. Are you going to cooperate and tell us everything that we want to know?".

"No" Reiner says simply.

"Thanks. It helps that you're prepared for this" Hange says with a small smile.

"Hold on!" Jean yells as Hange forces their blade into Reiner's neck, "are you sure? We might be able to take his power".

"I don't think all of the conditions for that to happen have been met" Hange says as they look at Jean, "we don't know the situation with Evelyn and Levi and the other side. Neither do we have the time to go confirm it ourselves. Reason being, there's no way for us to gauge the full depth of their power! Even if I cut his head off, we can't be too sure!".

"This isn't like you, Hange" Jean says as he looks down, "if we back down because of not knowing something, down the line, can we ever hope to beat the titans? When are we ever going to know all there is to know about the enemy?".

"Mikasa, how much gas do you have?" Hange asks as they look back at Mikasa.

"It's almost entirely gone" Mikasa says as she looks at Hange, "but it should be enough to reach Eren and Armin at least".

"That's more than me" Hange says as they look back at Reiner, "Mikasa. I need you to go check out their situation. Fill up your gas and bring back the injection from Levi. If for any reason you're unable to do so, fire a smoke signal. That will be my signal to end Reiner".

"Affirmative" Mikasa says as she flies off.

"Hange, I-" Jean says as he looks at Hange.

"The decision was mine" Hange says as they watch Mikasa, "you were just a factor".