13- The Town Where Everything Began

"We're not at the foot yet? It's almost dawn" Levi says as he looks at Evelyn.

"Just over this mountain, and then we're at Shiganshina" Evelyn says as she looks at Levi.

"Sorry you're stuck with my horse" Eren says as he looks at Mikasa.

"You're supposed to be saving your energy" Mikasa says as she takes the reigns from Eren.

"Yeah, I know" Eren says as he looks down.

"She's right. Rest up, Eren" Conny says from behind the two of them.

"Don't say his name, idiot" Jean says from next to Conny.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry" Conny says as he looks down.

"Assume this place is swarming with enemies" Jean says as he looks to his left and he comes face to face with a dormant titan, "titan on the left! Everyone halt! Light up the area!".

"It's alright. He's fast asleep" Hange says as everyone shines their torches on the titan, "this lad must not be one of those new types that move at night. That's too bad. Let him be".

"I can't believe we didn't see it until that close up" Eren says as he looks back at the titan whilst the group moves on.

"Yeah. I'm with you there" Hange says from in front of Eren, "the moonless night must be protecting us. Light from the moon is reflected sun. The new type of titan... we think that they use that minuscule amount of reflected light to move. Using the new moon was the right move. There's no guarantee we won't have a repeat of before. That lad may be one of those 'moonlight titans' for all we know. Hope we capture one, one day!".

I'm shaking? Why? What am so scared of? Shit. If we screw up retaking Wall Maria because I'm like this, then what? How many people will lose hope forever? There won't be a chance like this ever again! Am I not cut out for it after all? Someone like me? How can I save humanity? Someone like me? How?

Eren asks as he holds his arm.

"Eren" Mikasa says, noticing this.

"What are you shaking for? Are you scared?" Armin asks as he looks at Eren.

"I'm not scared!" Eren says as he looks at Armin.

"You're kidding! Look at your hand" Armin says as he looks at Eren's hand.

"This is... it's cold! My hand's damn freezing!" Eren defends himself.

"Really? My whole body's been shaking this entire time" Armin says with a small chuckle, "Eren, have you ever been afraid of titans? Normally, everyone's terrified of them. Like me. The first time I faced a titan, I couldn't move a muscle. But, there I was. And you pulled me right out of the titan's mouth. How were you able to do something like that?".

"I remembered the time you showed me that book" Eren says as he looks down, "up until then, I never once thought about what was outside of the walls. I just spent everyday looking at the clouds in the sky. But then, I heard your story and looked into your eyes. You were seeing an awesome dream. But I had nothing. That's when I knew. I wasn't free. Trapped in a small cage in a huge world, my freedom stolen by those unthinkable fiends. When I realised that, I couldn't forgive them. I don't know why but when it comes to taking back freedom, yes, strength flows through me. Thanks for that. I'm good now. I bet, by this time next year, we'll be looking at the sea".

"I recognise this area" Evelyn says as she looks around, "we used to come here for firewood".

"Hey, Evelyn. I think I can see the foot" Levi says as he points nearby, "there's signs of a trail, too!".