36

Dottore was momentarily free from the people the surrounded him; begging, pleading for his undivided attention. He was only free because of a different harbinger, though he didn't particularly like this one very much.

Capitano. The only human who has enough power to rival gods. Such power made him worthy of the 4th harbinger spot, but, it also meant that the doctor would have to be careful when he was around him. 

Even though Dottore has the 2nd harbinger spot -and he has for the last thousands of years- Capitano had a way of putting his nerves on edge. It was unsettling, meeting a human who could do that to him.

Regardless, he knew that the captain had no chance of taking his spot, or Columbia's spot.  He might have the strength advantage, but in terms of everything else, Dottore was centuries ahead. He could easily beat the human in a fight, but he simply didn't want to.

The doctor took a sip of his drink, tasting the bitter alcohol. It burned the back of his throat, and he had to stop himself from gagging. He wasn't much of a drinker, never was, but even he knew this type of alcohol was crap.

"Do you need something, Capitano?" He snapped. His bright red eyes were cold towards the 4th harbinger, seeing no purpose in the man staying after helping get the growing crowd away. He watched as the captain shifted uncomfortably; the tailored mask he wore showed parts of his face that showed that he was indeed uneasy.

"Spit it out, you mudak¹."

The 4th harbinger turned his head to look at the female in the corner talking to Sandrone. She looked concerned, and even confused at times, while the 7th harbinger talked to her. The doctor was quick to notice his new behavior.

How Capitano's body seemed to relax when he laid eyes on Y/n, how his shoulders seemed to hold just a little less burden.

"Ah, never mind. You don't need to say anything." Dottore took another sip of his drink, cursing at the taste. The 4th harbinger was taken aback.

"Sorry?"

The doctor's red eyes moved from watching Y/n to glaring at the captain. He seemed nervous, judging on his how he acted. He was messing with his hands, shifting on his feet, like he was eager to get out of the party. 

Or he was eager to get away from Dottore.

Dottore smiled under his veil. Oh, what a wonderful plan his mind made. A perfect way to tell Capitano that Y/n was not up for grabs, but in fact claimed, taken. Marked. He would love to see what was under that mask of his, to see what look his face would make when he showed him that she was the doctors'.

"You seem to be wanting to talk to her." He motioned with his drink, gesturing towards the woman, now looking more confused than before. Sandrone seemed to laugh. The captain looked back over to her.

"Yes, I suppose I do."

To any outsider looking in, it would look like Dottore was fine. Smiling even, under the veil he wore. It would look like he was happy to want to introduce somebody to Capitano.

That's not the case.

Dottore wanted to murder Captaino. He wanted to see his blood drip from his broken glass. He wanted to see the captain's blood flow down the steps of Zapolyarny Palace as a warning for other people who wish to seek his loves attention. He wanted to see each and every bone in the man's body torn out, broken, and fed to him. He wanted to see Rift Hounds rip into his body, watching as he bleeds out in front of him, begging weakly for help.

But instead, since he was at a party, and such violence on that level was not tolerated, he simply nodded and put his glass down. So, he just went to the next best thing. "Then allow me to introduce you to her." He walked towards her; his movement easily being picked up by Sandrone. She smiled softly and gave Y/n a light bow, waving goodbye.

"Y/n, I would like you to meet someone." He hooked his arm around her waist once she got close and pulled her closer to his body. He watched as Capitanos eyes narrowed at their contact, seeing the slight anger being to form in his shadowy eyes.

He bowed. "I am No. 4 of the Fatui Harbingers, code name The Captain. You may call me Capitano, if you wish." He wanted to kiss the top of her hand, but both of her hands were occupied by the man beside her.

She smiled at him. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Capitano. I'm Y/n."

That smile made his heart warm. He found himself wondering, is this what they call love? But that was impossible, there was no such thing as love at first sight. Unless there was, and there was love standing right in front of him.

Dottore pressed his lips against her cheek, skillfully putting the veil back in its place as he moved away. Y/n looked at the man beside her bewildered. "What was that for?"

"I can't just kiss you when I want?"

She opened her mouth then closed it. "You can," she spoke, "It just caught me off guard."

Capitano watched this unfold in front of him. Now it all made sense. He didn't have a chance at Y/n, she was already taken. He respected that, but he didn't like that she was taken by the being he disliked the most. The captain closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, calming himself down.

That's fine. Maybe, in a different life, he could have a chance at the beautiful woman in front of him.

He opened his eyes and exhaled slowly. "I must get going, I'm afraid I have some other matters to attend to back in my distract." His blue-black eyes drifted to Y/n's beautiful ones. "I do look forward to us meeting again, but for now, farewell."

Capitano turned and left, the absence of his presence seemed to make the music louder and the sound of chatter ever so soft. Y/n watched him leave, confused for the second time that night.

Dottore watch him leave with a grin on his face. He didn't bother to hide it from his eyes. What was the point? He won the fight and claimed her as his once again. Though, he did want to do more than just claim her in the ballroom, but that would have to wait until they got back home.

Y/n turned her attention back to Dottore. She noticed the gleeful look in his face and frowned. "Dottore, did you do something to him? Did you spike his drink with something?"

He blinked and looked at her, the glee from his victory still high in his system.

"Now why would I do that?"

~

¹ Mudak, romaji for мудак meaning, shithead/asshole

I do apologize for not letting this chapter out sooner haha. My motivation lately has been going downhill, and the one time it was high I wrote a shit chapter with too much information.

I scrapped it and rewrote it from a different point of view, which really helped a lot with the motivation thing!

I'm just glad I met the word count for this chapter, otherwise you guys would have much shorter chapter on your hands, and I don't think you would like that very much.

Anyways, until the next chapter!