32

Y/n turned and left the Tsaritsa, allowing her to meet with the other guests. Instinctively, her eyes searched the room, looking for Dottore. They landed on his uneasy face, being crowded by many other men and women, begging to be courted by the harbinger.

She chuckled. It wasn't worrying that he was surrounded by these people, she knew he could handle himself. A finger tapped her shoulder, gaining her attention.

"Yes?"

The young boy that stood in front of her didn't look very menacing, but she knew by the look in his eyes that he had seen things beyond her knowledge. This boy was a harbinger, she knew that now.

"Are you Y/n? Dottore's infamous assistant?" He asked. His body was tense, twitching in places, like he was begging for a fight.

"Am I really that popular?"

"So, you are?" The boys' eyes grew wide, a smile growing on his face. He looked like he was trying to hide it yet failing. "I'm No.11 of the Fatui Harbingers, codename Childe, but I also go by Tartaglia."

"It is nice to meet you, Tartaglia. Is it alright if I call you that?"

"Of course. May I call you by Y/n?"

"You may." She smiled at him, his name ringing a bell in her head. She recognized his name, but she couldn't place it.

Ah. She felt her head throb, the memories beginning to push through her mental barrier. She closed her eyes, begging for the dull pain to go away.

The pain disappeared, and she opened her eyes.

"Were you in the war 5 years ago?"

Tartaglia's smile grew. "I was. Were you?"

"Yes." Y/n sighed. "Though I mainly worked in the medical tent."

"Really? I'm sure I saw you on the battlefield." He tapped his chin. "You were quite ruthless. I do wish to fight you in the future."

"Where in the battlefield?" She didn't remember any of this. Sure, she fought in the war, but that was only when the enemy got close to the medical tents, and she had to defend the patients. Tartaglia was silent for a moment, gathering his own thoughts.

He hummed for a bit, making sure what he was remembering was correct. "The front lines." He finally said. "Yes, because I was there often. I remember you fighting the enemy off while I was incapacitated." His smile faded a bit. "You looked like you were enjoying yourself."

Y/n was silent. She had no recollection of these events, but she knew his memories weren't wrong. She had a gut feeling that everything he said was true. The buzz in the back of her mind grew stronger, the buzz of the weapon she had used to defend the medical tents.

"What weapon was I holding?"

"A sword." Tartaglia answered immediately, like he was waiting for her to ask the question. "It was covered in blood, so I can't tell you what the colors were. It was also evening at the time, if that helps."

She waved her hand, summoning the weapon that buzzed gleefully in the back of her mind. "Was this the weapon?"

His eyes glowed. "It was!" He reached out for it, his fingers brushing the surface of the blade.

The blade was slightly worn, yet it was clear it was being well taken care of. The hilt was a nice golden flower design, but if one looked closer, it would become clear that it wasn't just flowers, but mixed with vines and thorns. It had a charm dangling off the handle, though the reason behind the charm was long forgotten by the owner.

"This sword fits you very well, Y/n." Tartaglia nodded as he said this, like he was agreeing with himself.

"Thanks."

"Do you fight with other weapons? Is the sword your only weapon?" Slowly, it was becoming clear to Y/n that he had many more questions, eager to find the answers to every single one of them.

"I don't fight with any other weapon, but I do have some experience with a claymore." She smiled at him, letting the blade shatter into star glitter. Her hands -now free of her weapon- were taken hold of by the young male in front of her. He was eager, his eyes filled with curiosity.

"I will be happy to teach you how to use any and all weapons. Except for the catalyst and bow, I am still learning on how to use the bow. You can only use a catalyst if you have a vision, and I'm sure you don't have one." His eyes scanned her body, searching for the familiar Shneznayan vision symbol.

"I don't have a vision, and I will be happy to learn from you, Tartaglia."

The grip he had on her hands tightened. "Great! When can we meet?"

Y/n opened her mouth to respond, but she was quickly interrupted.

"Tartaglia, release the woman or so help me, I will throw you out the damn window."

His grip released quickly. He stayed silent, though his eyes were constantly watching the new woman. It looked to Y/n that he didn't quite like the woman.

"Arlecchino."

The woman glared at the boy. It became clear that this new woman ranked above Tartaglia; her demeanor and aura were different from the boy. He glared back, his once joy filled, and playful demeanor long gone.

"Why don't you get some refreshments, hm?" Her black and red eyes seemed to stare into him, instead of at him. He scoffed but complied. There were times where he knew better than to pick a fight. Her eyes shifted to Y/n. Instantly, her gaze softened.

"My apologies, I could see that you were staring to get uncomfortable by his actions. Please forgive him." She bowed her head for a second, though her gaze never seemed to leave. "My name is Arlecchino, No.10 of the Fatui Harbingers, codename Knave. Pleasure to finally meet you."

"Finally?"

Arlecchino nodded. "The harbingers were having a meeting just the other day, and Her Majesty allowed Dottore to leave early. I knew something was up, because it was rare to see him in such a state." She sighed. "Once he left, Her Majesty threatened to erase the harbinger or harbingers who brings harm to his lover. I have never felt such power from Her Majesty, yet it was enjoyable."

That must've been the time when I tried to run away. Y/n thought. No, now wasn't the time to think about something like that. She promised not to do something like that again, and she wasn't one to break her promise.

"Does Her Majesty really think I'm Dottore's lover?"

Arlecchino's eyes widened in surprise. "Do you think you're not his lover?" She scoffed. "Y/n, you are the only person Dottore would burn the world down for. You are the only thing that stopping him from doing so."

The 10th harbinger shook her head slightly. "You are the only person who made him who he is today. If you don't know what the means, then I suggest you ask him."

"I-" Y/n paused. "I will, thank you, Knave."

"Call me Arlecchino, and I shall call you Y/n. We're familiar with each other now so it is only natural." She bowed her head again. "Now, I shouldn't keep you much longer, there are other people waiting to meet you."

"Until we meet again, Y/n."

"Until we meet again, Arlecchino."

She watched the harbinger disappear into the crowd, being swallowed up by the curious and nosy people in the party. Her mind drifted back to what Arlecchino said.

"What did she mean by that...?" Her voice trailed off. This was an important matter, but Y/n would have to ask Dottore another time.

Right now, was not the time or place.