Fourty-One - Fly like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee

Emmi's POV:

I sat in the large court room farthest from the jury. My hands clammy, while my heart pounded in my ears, and my stomach churned. I was gonna lose my breakfast on Jamie if I didn't calm down. I wrapped my arms around my stomach and I hissed, remembering what Marz did moments ago in the bathroom.

I was cornered, unable to get away. Her hand came at my throat and her other one went after my stomach. I was finally healed, and from Marz's eyes, I knew she didn't want that for me. She didn't want me to be happy or healed. She wanted me to suffer like she did after my brother broke up with her.

Jamie noticed the pain I was in and she rested her hand on my shoulder, "You okay?" I noticed her look to my lawyer and back to me.

"I'll be fine." I whispered.

Before Jamie could reply, the judge came in and we all stood. The judge said we could sit and the trial began.

It had gone back and forth between Zach and I in the morning. His lawyer said one thing, mine said another. Evidence was shown and denied by Zach's lawyer. It was rough and the whole time Marz was giving me her famous death glare.

It was finally recess and I sighed, wanting to get to my support group. I saw the other girls that were going against Zach and smiled softly with a wave. They waved back and went back to chatting with each other.

Jamie came over and hugged me, "It's looking good for us." She smiled.

I nodded, forgetting about the slight pain I was in. Marlowe knew if she hurt me where I couldn't stand, it'd be worse for Zach. "Yeah, let's hope the second half goes as well as the first." I gave a half smile.

"I think it will, Emmilia. We have more witnesses to go through." My lawyer said. "Go relax and have some lunch. Judge wants everyone back at one."

I nodded and my friends and I left to sit in the hall. My parents had brought sub sandwiches for everyone and I was thankful for them doing so. I was starving. They handed us our subs and my mom smiled, "Seems to be going in our favor."

I nodded, "Mm yeah, thankfully. I'm hoping the second half goes fast. My anxiety is so high today, just waiting for his sentence." I sighed as I ate.

"I'm sure he'll get fifteen years, if not more. Though, I'm not sure how all of that works," Nikki said.

I looked over to Maddox who ate quietly near Lukas. I could tell he was keeping his mouth shut, not wanting to make things worse. Apparently, Lilly noticed too, "Care to put you two cents in, Mad?" She asked.

He looked over and shrugged in a daze, "Eh. I'm sure he'll at least get ten years and some fines. Then probation. From all the girls he abused, there has to he some reprocution from that." His gaze went down to his sub wrapper and went quiet again.

I glanced to Gigi and she frowned, "He's worried about you and Wes. He'll be alright."

I walked over to Maddox and sat next to him, "If you want to go make sure Wes is okay, I'll be fine here." I offered.

He shook his head, "You need me here."

"Honey, I'll be okay. I have my support team behind me. If you feel comfortable just calling him, go for it. We still have forty-five minutes until we have to be back in there."

He nodded and stepped out to call Wes. I smiled, happy he listened and Lukas raised his brows, "Shocked he cares for someone other than himself."

"Wes is his best friend, why wouldn't he?"

Lukas shrugged, "Football players don't really care about others. At least, that's what I've noticed."

"Wes and Maddox are different, Luke. Don't judge them by the sport they play and what they look like. If Maddox didn't care about anyone besides himself, why would he be here supporting Emmi?" Nikki questioned.