Twenty-Three - Mother's Grave

Maddox's POV:

Wes ended up staying at the house, so he wouldn't be alone with his thoughts for the night. I felt bad, I had completely forgotten the twenty-fifth was the anniversary for his mom. Usually he wasn't this sad ridden, but Emmi being so hard on herself with feeling useless must have triggered something in him to act the way he was.

I headed to the kitchen to make some breakfast for Wes and I, since my mom and sister were still sleeping. I did end up making extra omelets for them, since I knew they both loved my cooking. I put down the plates a the island and Wes sat down scrubbing his face. He looked as if he hadn't gotten any sleep. "You okay?" I asked as I took a bite of my spinach fetta omelet.

"I barely slept. I know she didn't mean it, since she has no idea about my past, but Emmi's words hit me so hard. Watching my dad fall apart in front of my eyes...hurt me deep. I hated seeing my dad like that...and the way Emmi spoke reminded me of that version of him. He was a wreck and always so down on himself for several months afterward..." Wes choked.

I set down my fork and looked at him, "Bud, I'm sorry what she said hit harder than expected. I know she didn't mean it the way it came off. She's just not used to being out of commission. She's always helping others and caring for others. Not being cared for like she is now."

Wes took a bite of his ham and cheese omelet with a sigh, "I know, Mad. I should apologize to her when we pick the girls up." He paused, setting down his fork, "I didn't even get to mom's grave yesterday..." he held back tears.

"You wanna go this morning? I'm sure Emmi and the girls aren't up yet anyway." I suggested.

Wes nodded, not saying another word. I could tell he was really missing her and not just by the fact he was holding back tears. He wasn't one to show emotion, or be vulnerable in public, but yesterday that side of him showed, even if the girls didn't figure it out. He quietly finished his omelet and headed to the bathroom.

I finished my own and went to my room to shower and change, since I had a bathroom attached to my room. Even though the warm water that hit my skin burned my cuts, I tried to shower quickly. The soap didn't help either, but I didn't want to smell worse than I did. I was still sore as hell, but I pushed through it as best I could. Once I finished, I got out, and dried myself off, looking in the floor length mirror after putting on a pair of boxers. I felt like my body was a messed up canvas that nobody wanted to paint on from all the cuts I had from the windsheild glass. I sighed, hating myself for thinking that and brushed my teeth before I got dressed. I threw on a pair dark blue jeans, a random heavy metal band tee underneath my favorite Phantom Rock sweatshirt and headed into the living room to put my converse on. I combed my fingers through my wet hair as I walked, not caring if it was a mess or not, since I was throwing a slouch beanie on anyway.

Wes was already in the living room, dressed and ready to go. "You okay to drive?" I asked.

He nodded, "I'll be okay once we head that way. Thanks for letting me spend the night. I didn't trust myself alone." He said, a hint of scared in his tone.

"Anytime. It's what I'm here for, Wes." I grinned and walked sorely towards the front door with my keys in my hand.

"Are you sure you'll be able to drive?" Wes chuckled.

"Yes, I have to push through this. I'll be fine. Nothings broken, so there's nothing to worry about." I hissed. I had told him the night before what happened with me. He was just as surprised as Emmi and I were when I found out I only got cuts and bruises from the accident, yet my Jeep was totaled.

We got to the cars and headed to the cemetery where Wes and his dad buried Wes's mom. He'd visit a few times a year, but he always made sure to stay a while on the day everything happened. Like he owed it to her or something. Or it was his way of saying goodbye to her every year, since he didn't get to when it happened. I could tell he felt guilty, but even I knew there was nothing anyone could have done about it.

Wes led the way and once we got there, he waited for me to get out of the car to walk with him. It was a quiet walk, but it was peaceful.

I saw Mallory's headstone and lowered my head in respect. Neither of us had flowers, but she already had flowers resting there. "Dad must have stopped by yesterday." Wes mumbled.

I stayed quiet, knowing all he needed was a friend there by his side. I rested my hand on his shoulder and he finally broke down. He trusted me with his feelings and vulnerability, and I wasn't about to let my trust be broken. Wes fell to his knees on the snow covered ground and continued to have his meltdown. I could tell he had kept it in all of yesterday and probably all of Thanksgiving too. Maybe even the whole week.

I texted Emmi, letting her know Wes and I would be coming in the early afternoon to get the girls. I didn't go into an extent as to why, but Wes may tell her when we are there. She texted back pretty fast, considering it was eight am and I had no idea when they usually woke up.

Emmi: that's okay. Give Wes a hug for me, kay?

Me: can do, 🍯🐝

Emmi: 🤭 that's a cute way of saying nicknames. Ooooo!!!! That's what we should do!

I laughed silently at her excitement and put my phone back in my sweatshirt pocket, as I waited patiently for Wes. It hurt me to see him this way, but I knew it was the only way he knew how to let it out. "I let Emmi know we'd be there in the afternoon. So take all the time you need, Wes."

He looked back at me, tears falling from his puffy blue eyes as he ugly sobbed, "Thank you." He managed to get out through all his crying.