Thirty-Six - Meet Cute

Maddox's POV:

We got back to Emmi's and I parked in the driveway. I glanced at the door and noticed something was off. "Stay here," I told the girls. I got out of the car and walked to the ajar front door. "Hello?" I asked, as I walked in.

No answer. I moved forward and heard someone in the kitchen. I stood tall, not knowing the threat, and headed into the kitchen. "Drop everything and turn around with your hands up!" I growled.

"Whoa, is that any way to greet your brother, Mads?" The guy spoke as he turned around.

My jaw dropped and I looked at him confused, "Why are you back so soon? I thought you were gone for the whole year? And why are you here and not at home with mom and Kyrie? How the hell did you even get in here?"

His light brown hair fell into his green eyes as he walked over to me, "I was at moms. I was looking for you and she said you were staying here with some girl for the past two weeks. Something about her ex and a hospital. I wasn't completely paying attention. I figured I'd get a better story from you." He ran his hand through his shaggy hair as he continued, "I got home this morning and am home until the new year. Then I go back. And the front door was unlocked, so I just walked in. Haven't been here long, honestly."

I glared at him, "You can't just waltz into someone's house. What's wrong with you? And you've met Emmi, during our video chats."

"He called me earlier, knowing I was home. He wanted it to be a surprise," I heard a soft voice behind me.

I looked at Emmi and raised my brows, "What?"

"Maddy, you know I'd never just walk into someone's house. I'm a gentleman, not some jerk. I called Emmi this morning, after you left for school. She said she'd love the company, but when I got here, she was gone. You left the door unlocked when you left and I asked her if it was cool to hang out until you guys got home. She said fine and that was that." My brothers grinned.

"And...earlier I thought it was Briggs at the door, so I didn't give it a second thought of opening the door. But, as we know, it wasn't." Emmi spoke to her shoes. Nikki stayed by her side, eyeing my brother.

I walked over to Emmi with a huge smile. "This was definitely a nice surprise. Thank you, sweetie." I kissed her on the cheek while hugging her gently. "And I was wondering how Marz got in. But that makes sense now."

She nodded as her hands began to tremble. I looked to Nikki and she took Emmi into the den to try and calm her down. I watched as they left and I turned my attention to Briggs. "So, little bro, how is she doing? She told me a little bit, but not much."

I shrugged, "Emmi's okay. She was surprise attacked, which is why we weren't home when you got here. We had to go back to the hospital to make sure nothing else got damaged. Her exes sister came and it was this whole thing." I grabbed a few things from the fridge to make a small snack as I talked. "She's definitely shaken up again though. She's supposed to return back to school Monday, but I don't trust her being alone tomorrow. So I might not even go to school tomorrow. With what happened today, I'm more worried than ever now."

Briggs nodded and snagged a cheese stick, "I can stay while you're at school tomorrow. Keep an eye on her, if that's okay with you." He offered. "Of course, Emmi would have the ultimate answer."

"Mm she would." I chuckled. We walked into the den and I sat next to Emmi. She snuggled into me and Briggs sat in the love seat, eyeing Nikki who sat on Emmi's other side.

"Aren't you gonna introduce me, Maddy?" Briggs asked, motioning to Nikki.

"Ah, right. Well, Briggs, this is Nichole. Emmi's best friend. Nikki, this is my big brother Briggs. He is studying in Germany, but is home for the holidays." I smiled.