Twelve - Playoffs and State

Maddox's POV:

"Mom, I got it. I'll make sure to let ya know when we get there. Sad you and Kyrie can't come and watch, but I know you both will be here in spirit. Have fun camping and tell Frank I say hello." I told my mom.

I heard my mom sigh, "Can you please just call him your father? That is what he is after all."

"Not gonna happen, mom. He may be my father, but I refuse to call him that. He hurt you, maybe not physically, but emotionally and mentally. I still don't understand why you took him back." I shook my head as I drove down the freeway. I hated Frank. He was a deadbeat and a cheater. We left, but he came crawling back and apologized, saying he had changed his ways. I never believed him. He oogles other women when we go out, but my mom ignores it.

"Honey, can't you just be happy for me?"

I scrubbed my face with my freehand as I drove, "Mom, I want you to be happy, but I can't support you and that man. I'm sorry."

"It's alright, sweetheart. I appreciate your honesty. I love you and have fun. If you end up going to see that Emmi girl at state, be safe and give her a hug for me."

I smiled, "I will, mom. I love you too. Give Kyrie hugs and kisses from me. I'll let ya know when I get to Plainview."

We hung up and my music blasted through my radio. Heavy metal and screamo, the perfect playlist before a big game. We were spending the night at a hotel, since we had two games out in Plainview. All the others were taking the bus, but since Wes and I might get to go to State for marching band the next day to cheer on Emmi and the others, driving was the easiest thing for me to do.

Emmi knew I wasn't able to take her and Brooks to school, but she was okay with it. She said she'd call when she got to school, but since Zach was expelled, I wasn't too worried about her. Plus, I knew her girls would take care of her while I was gone. We may not be a thing, but I still feel responsible for her. I made a deal with her and I intended to keep it.

About a half hour after my mom and I got done chatting, I saw Emmi's face on my screen. I answered right away and it was through my speakers, "Hey, Emmi. How was the walk to school?" I asked.

"Nothing too exciting. It's gonna be a long day, but no practice, so I can go straight home and relax. Gotta be up early tomorrow, we leave at six am. Events start at about ten I think? I'd have to ask to be sure." I heard a giggle and I smiled. "How's the drive?"

"Not too bad. Traffic isn't a thing right now, so it's smooth sailing to the hotel. Should be there by the time second period starts." I kept my eyes on the road and saw a speed trap in the distance. I glanced at my speed, and I smiled proudly. I was cruising at seventy, which is what the speed was.

"Cool. I unfortunately gotta go. Mr. Winters just walked in. Text you later. Let me know when you make it to the hotel and are settled in." She hung up before I could respond. Mr. Winters was strict, so I wasn't mad she abruptly hung up on me.

My music blasted again and I turned it down to a normal volume. My ears needed a break.

•┈┈┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈┈•

An hour and a half later, I had made it to the hotel. I saw the bus and saw some of my teammates grabbing their stuff. I got out of my Jeep and grinned, "Great timing," I chuckled, grabbing my stuff from my trunk.

"Why'd you drive, Evans?" One of my teammates asked as we walked in the lobby.

I shrugged, "Wes and I were gonna go sight seeing Sunday, so driving was easier." I fibbed.

Owens raised his brow, "Really? There's not much out here."

"We were gonna get some hiking in," Wes chimed in.