Twenty - Submitting to Feelings and the Agreement

Maddox's POV:

As soon as Emmi hung up on me, I shot up and left my room. I grabbed my keys and my family looked at me puzzled as I had a panicked and worried expression on my face. "Honey, what's wrong?" My mom asked.

"...I may have caused Emmi to have a panic attack and she hung up on me..." I answered.

"What'd you say to her to cause that?" Red asked.

Penny bounced, "Oooooo!!! Maybe he told her his feelings about her!"

I stayed quiet and fiddled with my keys. I needed to get back to the hospital to make sure she was okay. I didn't mean to give her a panic attack. Damn it, you should have lied and kept it in until she was healed! I screamed in my head at myself.

"It was that! I knew it!" Penny squealed.

"Forget it, I just need to make sure she's okay. I'll be back later. Red, pick Secret Santa for me, will ya?" He gave a sharp nod and I left for my Jeep.

I sighed as I drove toward the hospital, hoping they were still accepting visitors, since it was close to eight at night. How could I be so stupid? It wasn't the right time to admit my feelings to her. I knew that, but something came over me that made me unable to lie to her anymore. Really, I didn't want to lie to myself anymore.

I was half-way to the hospital when I got a call. I saw it was Emmi and I pulled over to answer her. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to cause you to have a panic attack." I apologized before she was able to say something.

I could tell she wanted to tell me something, but was nervous to. I waited patiently for her to gain the courage to tell me what was on her mind. "I...like you too...a lot..." she admitted. "And not just as friends..."

I choked on my spit, "Seriously?" She nodded and looked at the bed sheets. It was quiet for a minute and I cleared my throat, "So...now what?"

"I don't know...I really don't want to rush into anything..."

"I'm okay with that. We can keep up what we have going, if you'd like. Keeping it all a secret from everyone until you're ready to be exclusive." I suggested.

She nodded, "Sure. But can we add something to this agreement?"

"Of course. What did you have in mind?"

I watched as she picked the sheets nervously, "Can we keep it clean? And um...innocent?"

"What do you think I am? A monster who takes advantage of women?" She didn't say anything, and that answered my question. "Emmi, I'm not Zach. I don't hurt women. I may have been someone who got around, but they always knew what they were getting into with me. They may have wanted more than what I gave them, but I never gave in. I'm not some player who fools around with everything that moves." I laughed at my last comment, but Emmi's expression never changed. "Em, I promise you have the lead on this thing, okay? I'm not going to do anything you aren't comfortable with. I've waited this long for some action, I can wait longer until the girl of my dreams is ready. If that's two years from now, that is okay with me."

"Thank you..." she mumbled. "So, we are secretly dating instead of being friends that kiss. You sure you want this? I'm not that special."

"Yes, this is what I wanted since I saw you last year. I just didn't know it until now. And sweetie..." I paused. Using that nickname for her made my lips tingle and a smile formed on my face. "You are so special. I'm not just saying that either. You light up a room whenever you walk in it. That's one thing I love about you." I confessed.

I saw her eyes tear up and I just wanted to hug her, but I knew I wasn't getting to see her until Saturday, because it was now past eight and her friends were going to stop by tomorrow. "Maddox...that is the kindest thing anyone has said to me. Ever." She choked.