Twenty-Four - Alone Time

Maddox's POV:

Wes and I finished at the cemetery and before we went to get the girls, I treated him to lunch. He wasn't really hungry, but I knew he needed to eat something. I told him I'd meet him at the hospital after I went to get lunch and a few things for Emmi and I for the evening. I had planned on spending the night there again, so she wouldn't feel lonely.

He had asked if he should take the girls home without me, but I said he didn't have to. I did have his lunch after all. We went our separate ways and I headed to the store to get a bouquet of flowers, a cute stuffed lion, some of her favorite tea and a bag of soft chocolate chip cookies. After that, I went to get lunch for Wes and I and then to the hospital. I'd bring the items I bought Emmi in once the girls left, which meant I had to put them in the trunk for the time being.

I got to the hospital and parked in the structure, finding a spot that was on the third floor. I grabbed the food and drinks and left, locking the car as I walked to the third floor entrance of the hospital. I walked the normal route and when I got to Emmi's room, everyone was gone. I looked at her confused, "Where'd everyone go?"

Emmi looked up from her book, "Oh...um...Wes took everyone home. He said that you were gonna be late and that he could fit all five of them in his truck." She chewed the inside of her cheek, "He looked miserable."

"He...is. We went by his mom this morning. I told him I'd get him lunch, but he said no. But I did anyway, so now I have an extra meal." I frowned. I really didn't want Wes to be alone, so I texted Gigi to keep an eye on him.

Gigi: already on it. I could tell something was wrong

Me: thanks, Gi. Appreciate it. Let me know if he gets worse. I'll leave if I need to

Gigi: nah, i can handle him. Keep Em company

I smiled, knowing Wes was in good hands. I put my phone back in my pocket and leaned in to give Emmi a kiss on the cheek. "Well, in that case...I have a few things I need to get from the car. If you're hungry, you are welcome to Wes's meal."

"Thank you," Emmi smiled. Her face was looking so much better than the night of the beating. It made me happy that she was getting better fairly quickly. "You didn't have to get anything, by the way. Just seeing you is all I really need."

My heart swelled, "And that right there is why I got you something. You deserve everything." I told her and left back to the car.

I came back with my hands full and Emmi's nurse opened her room door for me. "Emmi, someone has some things for you." The brunette smiled.

Emmi set her book down again and her eyes widened. "Maddox...what in the world?"

I set everything down on the table next to her and smiled sheepishly after the nurse left. "They're all "get better" things." I defended. "Plus...I wanted to get you something that reminded you of...um...me" I scratched the back of my head nervously.

I took my lion out of the reusable bag and bit my lip as I handed it to her. "He reminded me of you..." He was blush orange with cream white underfur and a deep red mane and tail tip. He was too cute not to get Emmi.

I watched her eyes light up as soon as she saw it. "He's so cute!" She squealed. I handed it to her and she squeezed it tightly, nuzzling it happily. She looked at me confused, "Why?"

I raised my brows, "Why what?"

"Why are you spoiling me?"

It broke my heart a little that she'd ask me that. I hated Zach even more because of it. I sat at her side and brushed her hair out of her face, "Because you deserve it." I smiled.