Two - Limit for the Good Girl

Emmi's POV:

I may be kind and sweet, but I have my limits too. Today just happened to be that day. I woke up to arguing, like most mornings. Parents wouldn't quit arguing over who would get Brooks and I for the holidays this year. We lived with our mother after our dad screwed up his marriage with his drinking habits.

I ignored it all and went to shower before I left to take Brooks to school. I threw on a cute jean skirt that was the right length for school, a dark purple tank top that had lace at the bottom and at the top and straps, and a black v-neck top that had a guitar on the left side and was accented in dark purple. It looked like the tank top and the shirt were sewn together, it fit perfectly. I looked at myself in the mirror and admired myself for a second. My eyes trailed to the long cut on my right forearm. I sighed and grabbed a piece of cut friendly ointment and my skin tone patch before putting on some light make-up and dried my hair, leaving it in it's natural wave and curl.

I left the bathroom, slipped my worn out black converse on, grabbed my backpack and went into the kitchen to grab something quick to eat on my walk. "Mom, I'm leaving with Brooks. Love you. Be home late, I got guard practice and then the game."

"Okay, I love you!" I heard her call out from her bedroom. That's where all the arguments, whether on the phone or in person, were. They hated arguing in front of us, but we could hear everything anyway. House wasn't that large.

I looked to see my brother standing eargerly at the front door, "What are you so excited about?"

"I get to figure out who my reading buddy is today!" He exclaimed with small bounces on the balls of his feet.

I tucked my dirty blonde hair behind my ear and pushed my black square framed glasses up. "That's right! I forgot that was happening today." I smiled.

I pushed the door and we left down the street toward his school. He was so excited and couldn't stop talking about the reading buddy exchange the whole way there. I chuckled at how cute he was, "Bye sissy! Have a good day at school!" He chimed, skipping toward the front door.

"I will, don't worry, Brooks." I smiled, waving him goodbye. "Oh! Remember to come to the high school after school! Mom will pick you up there!"

"Okay! I will!" And that was that, he left inside and left towards the high school.

Usually, Zachariah would come get me at Brooks' school, but he had texted me saying that he had to get to school early to get some extra credit done for English. I sighed, relieved. I didn't need more of his lectures on why I shouldn't be walking in what I was wearing. I didn't want to cover up anymore.

I shook the dark memories out of my head and kept moving forward. Finally getting to school, I was greeted by my best friend, Nichole Lake, and she didn't seem her usual bubbly self. My stomach churned, thinking of the worst. "What's wrong, Nikki? You're scaring me..."

"Zach...he um..." She took forever to spit it out.

I put my hands on her shoulders, staring at her brown eyes intently, "What about Zach. Just spit it out!"

She took out her phone and showed me a picture. It took me a second, but I realized who it was. Zach and Jamie, getting real friendly in Mr. Sommers English room. "Extra credit, my ass." I hissed, clenching my jaw. "Where is he?"

"Still there probably. Em, you okay?"

"I will be once I punch that jack ass in the face." I spat and stalked toward Mr. Sommers room. Deep down, I was frightened for my life. I've never stood up to him before. My friends knew what happened behind closed doors, but no one else did. Not even my parents. I put on a strong face, making sure no one saw the fear that was dripping off me. I swung the door open and the two were heavily making out. I pulled him off and turned him around, fire and rage in my green eyes.