Chapter 19 Recruitment

Start from the beginning

The landing pad is located on the northwest side of the U-shaped building, near the edge of the training ground. The section has many hangars and landing pads, as numerous shuttles and fighters are taking off and landing. Since there is an active evacuation of the city and an active operation to clear the city from the effects of the Herrscher awakening, the region is very bustling with activity. Civilians are ushered to the training ground where a temporary camp has been set up as a refugee camp until the city has been deemed secure or another place could be arranged for them to evacuate to.

As Mei arrived at the section, a shuttle landed. The doors opened and out comes another wave of refugees. This time, a group of soldiers from the medical corp rush towards the shuttle and extracted a gurney with an injured person laying on it while the healthy ones exited the shuttle and were directly guided towards the camp.

Although Mei doesn't really pay attention to what's happening, she did notice two figures exiting the shuttle, both with bright pink hair and some ashes on their faces.

'Must be sisters' Mei thought as the both of them followed the soldiers' instruction and follow the crowd towards the camp. Mei continued to pay attention to the pair until she move her gaze onto the next shuttle who is landing. After the craft had landed, the door swing opened and again medical personnel started moving towards the craft. This time, however, Mei knew the person who is laying there, Liana. Her hand has third-degree burns and she has fainted from the pain. The medical personnel immediately grabbed her gurney and ran towards the field hospital that has been set up near the camp. Fu Hua also exited the shuttle with burn marks and a few scratches here and there. She is then helped by another medical personnel and also heading towards the field hospital. A couple of other gurneys have also been extracted from the craft containing soldiers who have suffered injuries and are combat ineffective. Then, Kevin exited the craft, with thick gloves that covered the entirety of his arms, a white mask, and his neck is covered.

"Kevin" Mei rushed towards Kevin who is also rushing towards her.

"Mei" Kevin said as he move towards Mei, hug Mei.

Mei felt cold. Obviously, due to the MANTIS project, Kevin's body temperature has become so low, direct contact with him can cause frostbite in normal humans. Due to this, He exposes as little skin as possible so that people can still touch him for a while, but it is still cold, and prolonged contact can still cause frostbite, at least, he still can hug his girlfriend.

They release their hug and together, they headed towards the field hospital.

***

Liana who watched these scenes played out is confused. 'Wait, so this isn't my memories then? I am there laying on the bed, in a coma due to my burns but these scenes keep playing out' Liana thought while raising her hand toward her chin. 'This vision is different than the others. Normally, I would see the vision through Liana. If this vision appeared, then that means that these sort of visions doesn't come from my memories but from some other external sources. The best guess is Honkai-chan.' Liana deduces the meaning of the vision, a quite intelligent assessment of the situation. Never would have thought she of all people, the tuna herself, managed to not be an idiot and reach that conclusion by herself.

As Liana talk to herself, the visions changed. This time it is just outside the field hospital.

***

Liana is standing near the entrance of the field hospital with Mei and Kevin standing near her. It has been roughly a week since she arrived at the base in a state of coma. Due to her surprisingly fast tissue recovery rate, her burns have been able to rapidly heal. Now, it is just a patch of red new skin that is still being covered by bandages. Although it seems that she has not made a full recovery, the doctor decided that she can roam around freely. What hasn't healed though, is the mental wound she is now dealing with.