Chapter One

"Speak before I hang up." Dani demanded, pressing the phone to her ear so she could hear over the noise of the party.

"Are you at a party, Dani?" Her dad asked, his voice undeniably full of amusement although he tried to be firm.

"No, I'm at a social gathering of possibly fifty people, we're sat in a circle talking about politics. What's up?" Dani answered, chuckling. Dani Hayden wouldn't be caught dead giggling, she chuckled or she stared.

"I need to talk to you. Go outside so you can hear me." Her father instructed. Dani rolled her dark blue eyes and went out into the cold air, lighting a cigarette. "I'm going away for a long time, Dan, longer than usual."

"So?" Dani asked, blowing the smoke out into the darkness.

"You're going to stay with your mom." Christopher said, already bracing himself for the verbal attack he knew was going to happen.

"No I am not." Daniella said simply, but she was yelling inside.

"I know you don't want to, Dan, but I have no choice, please, Blue?" He used her old-nickname, hoping it would help.

"I have a life here, friends, school. I have a boyfriend." Dani exclaimed.

"I Thought you were breaking up with him."

"I'm going to, but I won't now, so I can't leave." Dani said, a smile gracing her painted lips.

"C'mon Blue. Please, for me." Christopher pleaded.

"What do I owe you?" Dani snorted.

"I Kept you alive this long, didn't I?"

"Barely. Fine. I'll go stay with Lorelai. Need anything else?"

"Just be nice, blue."

"Dad, my first word was crap and you expect me to be nice?" Daniella snorted again, crushing her cigarette under her heel. Christopher laughed.

"You coming home? I've ordered chinese."

"Be there soon. I'm only a little drunk." Dani smiled and hung up, turning on her heel and disappearing back into the party. "Oi, Caleb!" She yelled over the noise, catching the attention off her boyfriend. He walked over to her, grabbing her hips gently and drawing her closer.

"Hey." He whispered.

"How drunk are you?"

"Barely. Why?"

"Drive me home? My dad needs me." Dani asked, arms around his neck.

"Sure." He smiled, leaning down. Their lips met and they kissed for a few seconds before she drew back and looked up at him.

"Come on then." She grabbed his hand and they left, running down the empty streets to his brother's car, their breathing making clouds in the cold air. That was her life and she wouldn't swap it for the world .

***

Lorelai Gilmore walked down the street of the sleepy town of Star's Hollow, she crossed the road and entered Luke's Diner, she was a regular there. Inside, she took her coat off and picks up an empty mug off the table, going over to the counter.

"Please, Luke. Please, please, please." She started begging for a cup of coffee.

"How many cups have you had this morning?" Luke raised an eyebrow at her.