Chapter 13: Scouting

I woke up slowly, still in the same position I knocked out in yesterday. I slept the entire afternoon, all night, and into the early morning hours.

But I felt... okay. Alive, if nothing else. My feet tenderly hit the ground, and I examined my hands. Barely tinged with purple, every trace of red gone.

I approached the bathroom mirror, turning my head left and right, looking for any trace of injury. Save for a small cut that severed my eyebrow, it was gone. All of it.

I washed my face gently, letting the cold water wash all the residue from the cream off, slowly becoming more alive.

After patting it dry, I rubbed some hydrating cream Kore had gotten me on, removing all the dry skin.

I slipped into my training leathers, fastened my boots, equipped my weapons, and left my room. Residents of the castle bowed to me as I walked by, whispering about how good it was to see me again. To see me at least alive.

The breakfast table was empty, save for a small plate for me. A balanced breakfast of protein, carbs, fats, and fruits. Likely thanks to Marlia.

My hands shook as I ate, gripping the fork seemingly the hardest task I had in a while. The water didn't go down smooth, but I drank all of it. I ate most of the food, leaving a piece of cantaloupe that seemed too bitter to be enjoyed. 

I went out the front entrance to the palace, passing the gardeners and keepers, nodding to each of them in turn. Taking a sharp right, I went to the training grounds where my men were already training. The women were running laps around the dirt path.

Every soldier stood at attention as I walked, waiting for me to approach them. I waved them off, walking to the archery range. Grabbing my bow off the stand, and a quiver of arrows, I walked to the shooting aisle, and began warming up with the bow.

Practicing the technique, stretching my muscles, waking them to life after a day of sleep, culling them to battle.

They woke up faster now, ready to fight, to defend. I nocked my first arrow, planted myself, drew the string back, exhaled, and fired.

Dead center.

With a small smile, the first in weeks, I prepared for another shot.

* * *

The moon was high in the sky before I stopped training that day. It felt too good to stop. Broadsword, knives, staff, archery, hand to hand combat, it was all mine. 

Save for a small break for lunch, I trained. 

Every other soldier stopped hours ago, wanting to spend time with their families, be human. If we marched, we didn't know who would return.

I began my run, heading for the apple orchard, feet hitting the ground harshly below me, lungs breathing heavily. 

It was July now, I heard someone say. The second week. And I could smell it. Smell the heat exuding off the apples, the roots of the trees.

And it hurt. But not as much.

And as I ran, heading for those sickly flowers, something appeared in my path. Then, a few somethings. People, I noted.

Stopping abruptly, I grabbed my sword off my back, and approached. "Who are you?" I barked, prepared to fight.

"Queen Aelfrun," one of them croaked. Briallyn.

Quickly, I sheathed my sword, then ran to them. "Queens," I greeted. "What are you doing here?"

"We need to speak, Aelfrun," she replied, concern in her voice. "We have information.. a source, disclosing of a meeting tomorrow that you must stop."