Chapter 3: Dreams

Another day, another morning of waking up erratically. I rubbed my eyes in distress, staring at the foot of my bed from where I'd just flung myself upright. Slowly, I shifted out of bed, knowing I'd have  to be sore after yesterday, but... I wasn't.

My knees rolled and popped as I stepped over the grass-stained leathers from last night, the ones I'd fallen asleep in.

I went to the closet and pulled out a thin, ivory dress made of fine silk that cut off gently at my mid-thigh. It was soft and comforting on a morning after hard training. The corset strings knitted tightly behind me, accentuating my figure.

I laced my ivory heels up my calf, the matching set to the dress. My hair had been braided, my touches of makeup done, and breakfast brought to me by the staff.

The windows were open now, letting in the bright sunlight. Today was not a training day, it was Saturday. Saturdays are for diplomacy, my father says.

What a stupid word. Di-plu-mussy. Di-plo-massy.

I stepped in front of the windows, standing in the pool of sunlight. My arms hung at my side, flipping my palms repeatedly, sunbathing each side. I could smell the flowers and trees now, something else that had changed.

Sunlight warmed my skin, my body absorbing every last ounce of heat, seeing as how my dress offered no comfort. I allowed my mind to drift, to wander into another plane of existence, one that offered magic.

One of swords and dragons and faeries with powers. Handsome men, who wouldn't objectify you, fearless sisters that would die guarding your back, trials and tribulations beyond pointing your toes appropriately during ballet practice. Flying amongst the stars, feeling as if you were home.

But then, I scoffed at my wishes. How vain could I be? A Duchess, for Cauldron's sake, is wishing for more. What more could I need? Want? Desire?

A knock at the door pulled my attention back into my body, but I kept my face to the sun. "Duchess Aelfrun?"

"Enter," I replied.

Marlia entered, my time-manager and book-keeper, the woman who got me to every appointment and kept track of my performances in each. She had been at the castle a long time, back when the Archerons were still here. She was more of a mother than any of us had ever had, regardless of the fact that both of them were still alive then. "How are you feeling today, miss?"

I thought about it, still not turning to face her. "Dreamy."

The smile was in her voice. "Aren't those just the best days, love?"

Finally, I turned, a slight grin on my face as well. "Absolutely."

* * *

Marlia was glued to my side as we walked into the war room. The various lords and knights the Queens appointed to watch over the human lands were seated around the table, waiting for mine and my father's presence.

Maps were hung up around the large room, various weapons and trophies in display cases from previous conquests or skirmishes, and a large fireplace, to be used only during winter, was placed neatly into a corner behind Marlia.

Even a pair of wings hung behind glass, but I could never get my father to tell me where they were from. I caught myself staring at them many times throughout my childhood, wondering who they once belonged to. Mourning their loss of flight.

Lord Nolan, and his ridiculous son Graysen, were both murmuring to themselves as I took my seat at the far head of the table. 

My father entered behind me, his seat at the opposing head. "Call to order," he barked, silencing the room.