24 - Reunion

Neo speaking: "It will look like this..."

Neo thinking: It will look like this.

Others who are NOT Neo thinking: 'It will look like this.'

AI speaking to Neo (in mind): [It will look like this.]

AI speaking to others: [It will look like this.]

Neo's Mainframe: {It will look like this.}

═════════•°• ⚠ •°•═════════

AI, you've returned. Neo thought. His core felt the lightest it ever had. He could hear her voice again; he could feel her presence again within his mainframe. All of his worries melted away, leaving a peace that he'd never felt before.

[Yes.] She stated. [I see that these... humans have been helping you.]

Her voice carried a certain tightness within it. AI did not like humans, and for understandable reasons. But she understood that these humans had earned a degree of Neo's trust, especially the little one, Eri. She had seen it.

The moment AI came back online, she flitted through the memories that Neo had without her there. They filtered into her separate mind instantly, and she regretted everything.

The power core within his antennae is essentially her. She can gather her own power, acting as a separate yet cohesive part of him. But since coming online in that ruined building, she had little to no power within her core. Because of this, she ran mostly on Neo's gathered energy, which had reached absolute zero during the Kamino incident.

But she was still active thanks to the infinitesimal energy she had. This little bit of energy is the true reason that the others were still able to save Neo even after he'd used up everything.

She kept him from true death, using her energy to the fullest to keep his soul within the heart core in his chest.

When Neo can't fend for himself, she is the first line of emergency defense. She is his shield when things become too much, able to take over when he can't. Normally, though she herself can not remember, she would have a physical form able to protect him better.

But just like her charge, she could not remember anything before waking in the ruins. She was just a gathering of data within his mainframe now, only able to protect him by keeping his body intact and activating his auto-reset the moment she could.

If she could, she would eliminate everyone and everything that ever hurt her Neo. If she could, she would put them through everything they made him go through, only making it ten times worse and two times longer for her own vengeful satisfaction. If she could... if only she could...

But she could not. She was but a gathering of data now. If she had been anything more than that, she didn't know anymore. There was no way for her to recover those damaged memories. They were shredded beyond repair, even auto-reset could do nothing, opting to create a new file for them to grow. She felt so useless.

While she had these thoughts, those intruders came, probing through his mind. They were humans, and none of them were 'Bakugo, Katsuki', who earned her Neo's trust and tried to save him. They were immediately designated as hostile. How dare they come into her charge's mind while he was finally healing?

AI was enraged.

She had drained what little power she had driving those intruders out. She didn't know that she would fall into such a deep slumber because of it. She could feel his fear when he woke without her, and it was yet another thing she added to her long list of regrets.