About Damn Time

You can probably guess as to what happens this chapter just based on the name. To mark the start of their relationship, I am switching the rest of this story from third person to first person point of views. The point of view will be indicated by a name in all caps at the beginning of the point of view.

This was easily my favorite chapter in the whole story to write.

TESSIA ERALITH

For two hours I tossed and turned, restless and wired, thinking about anything and everything related to Elenoir. Regardless of the stress involved, I knew I would do what it took to protect my homeland and help its people. We both would, Art and I. There was no doubt that Art would, of course. Art was always more than prepared to die for his family, almost too willing to risk his life if it meant keeping an innocent safe. This thought scared me more than anything. I couldn't even imagine a world without Art in it.

I closed my eyes and played over in my mind our last conversation when we said our goodnights on the balcony of Teagrin Calum only two hours prior.

He had given me a hug, his arms wrapped tight around my shoulders, and his chin had briefly set itself atop my head, a gesture he had never done while hugging me before. It was over much too quickly and he pulled away, his hands squeezing my shoulders once before dropping his hands to his sides. As he said goodnight to me in the comfort of darkness, he looked distracted and nervous, almost as if he wanted to tell me something but didn't know how.

Art immediately turned away from the balcony towards his bedroom, but just as he was about to enter the palace he turned around. When looked back at me his expression was serious and his eyes moved over my entire body. I felt chills run down my spine when he finally looked into my eyes and gave me one last nod and a smile. I was speechless. I felt as if I was suddenly standing in front of him fully nude, exposed in the way he was staring at me.

And although the thought of him made my insides heat up with undeniable pleasure, I wanted nothing more than to smack Art upside his head for doing this to me.

How dare he look at me that way and then not do anything about it?

Leaving me to assume and hope things that may or may not be true. I've doubted myself and him and every feeling I've had about him potentially wanting me ever since he came back from the war and told me he loved me like a friend. It wasn't fair!

Was he suffering as much as I was or did this amuse him? How was it that he made me so incredibly hot and bothered, while he seemed to remain cool and unaffected? But, wait. He wasn't exactly cool, was he? Everything he'd done and said, it had to be for a reason right? All the teasing, and... touching. That isn't something that friends do right?

He had been saying such sweet things, listening intently to my mad ideas regarding bringing Alacryan technology to Dicathen and offering to help me on the political front. This was very unlike my childhood friend, who seemed to hate even being in a room where politics was happening.

He obviously must know how I feel. I left no uncertainty in my confession. Perhaps that was why he was behaving so audaciously, but at the same time watching me, always waiting to see how I would react to things.

If he truly loved me like I desperately hoped, why wasn't he taking matters into his own hands? Did he expect me to do something about this? Whatever this even was...

I had to find out, or else I knew I would get no sleep at all.

I threw back my covers and swung my legs over the side of the bed. I didn't even bother dressing up, simply putting on a nightgown and my slippers as I traversed the room I was set up in and ducked into the hallway. The Alacryan palace was always so full of life during our stay here. So bright and cheerful now that peacetime had come. But at just after midnight, with everyone closed up in their rooms fast asleep, it was just a cold, empty building. Luckily, the floors were made of marble and the walls were made of stone, so I knew I wouldn't have to worry about making any noise as I walked to the end of the hallway towards the door that led straight to Art's bedroom.