Preparation

While Tessia was the one who put all of this in motion after hearing Arthur's drunken yet candid response to her pressing, she was still quite nervous about the trip. She chuckled in self-deprecation. It almost felt like she was getting ready to go to Xyrus Academy all over again more than a decade later. She was no longer a schoolgirl, yet the fraying nerves and pacing around her room as she hoped everything would go well with Arthur somehow still remained the same.

In the meantime, Arthur was blissfully unaware of both the machinations involved that caused him to be taken on this trip and the state of anxiety of his childhood friend.

The night before they were supposed to head out, Arthur decided to pay Tessia a visit to go over any last-minute tasks that needed to be done before they left. As they were discussing the trip and logistics in more detail, Tessia realized that despite them being in Alacrya for many months, Arthur would not really be spending much of it with his family. Most of it will be spent at her side protecting her as they go on tours and other public appearances across Alacrya.

"Wow, I didn't realize until now just how much back and forth you would need to do. I guess being my bodyguard is a tough role," Tessia sighed, suddenly feeling a bit regretful for dragging Arthur along.

"I'm not really your bodyguard, you know," Arthur told her with chagrin. "I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to attempt anything while we're together."

Tessia felt lightning zing through her at the thought. While we're together...

It was just going to be the two of them. Yes, there were going to be Alacryan guides and dignitaries with them, but no one that either were close to. She would have Arthur all to herself. What was she going to do?! She was panicking inside, but she was determined to hold on to her composure even as she worried for her heart. This realization was the final nail in the coffin; she had made a huge mistake getting Arthur to come with her. She had a feeling that this trip was going to be the death of her, that he would somehow worm himself even more firmly into her heart. If that was even possible.

Okay, snap out of it!

Tessia suddenly snorted at herself. She was being overly dramatic about the whole thing, she told herself firmly. Haven't her recent trips taught her anything? That she had skills to rely on and didn't need to fall apart every time they were alone together?

She was no longer that shy bumbling girl anymore. She was Tessia Eralith, princess of the elves and the chosen Dicathen emissary to represent the whole of Dicathen during this trip to Alacrya. She remembered that many people: her grandfather, Curtis, Kathyln, Arthur, among others were counting on and had faith in her. She felt her confidence rising back in her. She was strong, cool, and assured.

Besides, they were just friends, her and Arthur. Two people on a diplomatic mission. She had to remember that.

After they had finished discussing the plans for the next couple of months, Tessia and Arthur continued to talk about anything and everything. Tessia laughed, too. This was good. Friendly chatter. She could do this.

And Tessia used her learned skills to have him continue talking.

Arthur was happy to indulge her. He spent many hours talking about his time in Alacrya, talking about how much of a troublemaker he had been with Caera, about his Alacryan students, and how proud he was to see them improve. Especially Seth; Arthur was impressed at how the weakling turned into a capable warrior in front of his eyes.

Though he'd kept his tone light, Tessia heard the emotional toll it had taken on him being away from everyone in Dicathen. She wished she could have been there to lend a supporting and friendly hand.