Eavesdropping

It has been two months since Eleanor had settled into her role as the Dicathen Ambassador. From all accounts, she had taken to the role very quickly, something that had surprised Arthur. Apparently, while he had been away, Eleanor had sat in various council meetings, learning about politics and policy through constant use over the years. Now, all that practice was showing.

As Arthur was walking around, he thought about how proud he was of his little sister. While he never told her anything, he was sad that she went to Alacrya. Even though he could travel to the continent whenever he wanted without issue, his duties as a lance prevented him from visiting his family as often as he would have liked.

Arthur's legs stopped suddenly as he looked up in surprise at the location he was in front of. He hadn't realized it, but he had unconsciously walked toward the cemetery.

A cool breeze flowed calmly through the air on this fall morning, as the first of the leaves to fall floated along with it, painting the air in motes of reds, oranges, and yellows.

The gate to the cemetery opened with a soft creak, and Arthur was soon met by rows of white tombstones, each one being a testament to the soldiers and workers that passed away during the war while on duty. Commoners, nobles, and even royalty of all races were laid to rest in this giant area, a symbol that no matter what blood flows through your veins, no matter what your status was in the living world, we are all one and the same in the eyes of death.

Tears formed in his eyes as he finally reached a particular tombstone. Its white marble glistened brightly in the light as if telling every visitor to not mourn his death but rather celebrate his life. Arthur could still see his smile, and hear his goofy laugh. Arthur fondly remembered the time he spent with the man. Whenever Arthur was not sure of himself, he would always be there to give him a lesson, displaying a maturity that went far beyond what his jovial nature would imply.

Reynolds Leywin

Arthur's tears began to sting as he admonished himself for his failures. All that he wanted to do was run into the arms of his father. The one place that no matter how old or strong he got, he would always feel safe within. But he would never be able to feel his father's love again.

The screams of mana beasts and men alike echoed through his head, the memory serving to be worse torture than his time as a prisoner of war. Guilt ached within him for his failure to save his father that day at the Wall. Guilt from failing to protect everyone he cared about. Guilt from somehow surviving the horrors of war.

But he wiped his tears and slapped his cheeks. He knew his father would not want him to grieve his passing. So instead, Arthur promised himself to carry on his will. To have a good life, surrounded by friends and family. To be a good man. One that would make his father proud.

He still felt the pain deep in his mind, but he promised himself he would find a way to move on and have a happy life.

As Arthur began to walk away from his father's tombstone, he heard a voice talking, the words carrying through the air.

It was clear and soothing, and Arthur found himself listening intently to it.

"You should see what they're doing now at home. Grampa is busy working to maintain the peace between the races now that the union is no longer needed. I think he doesn't want to see another war like the one that took Grandma and you guys to come anytime soon."

It was Tessia. Arthur found himself hiding behind a tree as he watched her fuss with the potted sunflowers she'd laid over the headstones, both of which were standing side by side. Just like they themselves had been for as long as he knew them. She was sitting on the grass, facing the headstones, her arms wrapped around her knees.

She sighed. "I wish you were still here, but I'm going to continue to get stronger. I'll make you guys proud. I still need to learn and grow a lot, but I am trying my best to improve and fill the big shoes you left behind. I-"

He must have made a sound because she stopped speaking suddenly.

"Art?" she said into the air, her ear cocked in his direction, but her back still turned away from him.

He stepped away from the tree and she finally turned to him with a smile.

"Hey, Tess. How did you know it was me? I didn't mean to eavesdrop."

He came and sat next to her, looked at her, then at the names on the gravestones: Alduin Eralith and Merial Eralith.

She was still smiling as she shook her head at him, her emerald eyes gleaming as her long gunmetal grey hair danced briefly with her movements.

"No, you weren't eavesdropping. It's becoming a bad habit for me, I think. I just can't help it. I guess I just wanted to let them know how things are going. I still feel them here, you know." She tapped her chest with a small hand.

She then looked at her childhood friend with a soft smile. "I am glad you came back okay." She realized hadn't yet had the chance to tell him that, so she made sure he knew now.

They sat in silence for a long time, neither of the two willing to break it. He found the quiet of the moment restful as a feeling of peace wrapped him in its warmth. He realized that this was precisely what he needed. The serenity, the space, the quiet, to just be.

All the worries ebbing through him from the conversation he had with Ellie and his mom disappeared as Tessia's undemanding presence made him feel at ease. He was glad that she didn't seem to want to talk, either. Instead, she kept her arms wrapped around her knees, lost in thought, and moved her head to the side from time to time.

Eventually, though, Arthur's stomach gave a loud growl, signaling that it was time for lunch. Tessia laughed, the sound carrying through the air, as he flushed again at hearing her melodious laughter he realized that he had missed during the many years he had been away.

"Ugh, bad timing, but I'm hungry!" He laughed, too. "Do you want to get something to eat with me, Tess?"

She beamed at him, a slight flush on her face. "I'd love to."

"