Return Home

VIRION ERALITH

It been several months since Tessia and the brat have gone to Alacrya. Finally, after a successful series of talks and trade deals have been signed, they are coming home.

Tessia did an amazing job as the representative from Dicathen, making lasting connections with various dignitaries and highbloods from the new continent. She even became close friends with their regent. I couldn't be prouder of her, and I know her parents would feel the same way if they were here now.

Aya and I were waiting at the portal connected to Alacrya, awaiting their return home.

Soon, the distinct thrum of the portal sounded, and two figures entered through it. The first one through was Tessia, and just behind her in a protective position was the brat I considered my own.

Tessia's eyes brightened when she realized we had been waiting for them, and she ran to me before bringing me into a warm hug. "Grandpa!"

I was surprised by how ecstatic she seemed to be. "Hello little one. I am glad you are safe. Did something happen while in Alacrya? You seem happier than normal."

The brat's eyes widened before looking away at the comment. From just one look at his face, I quickly understood why she was so happy.

I see.

It seems that Aya had also realized what happened, based on her cheeky grin. She pulled her fellow lance away to talk to him. Or rather, to tease him based on his embarrassed face.

After a bit more chatting and a quick carriage ride back home, we all went our separate ways to our respective rooms. However, not even an hour passed before I heard at my door.

It was Arthur, looking like his nerves were frayed as he came to ask me something. "Hey Gramps."

I tried to hide that I knew exactly why he was here. "Hello, Arthur. Anything I can do for you?"

Arthur squinted at me before sighing. "You already know why I am here don't you Gramps?"

I smirked at him. "What? That you came here to ask for permission to date Tessia as per elven customs? No, I had no idea."

Arthur groaned. "Well, you are not wrong." He then straightened up before taking a more serious expression. "Elder Virion, I love Tessia Eralith. Admittedly, it took me a while to realize this, but I know know without any uncertainty that I can't imagine wanting anyone else to be with me as we navigate life and its challenges together. She has been my strength and my life is far brighter with her in it. If possible, please allow me the honor to court her."

I smiled at the boy in front of me as he bowed, his nerves clearly getting to him as his voice wavered near the end of his request. I couldn't help but remember the young boy that arrived on the steps of Zestier, willing to protect Tessia from the guards that appeared out of nowhere before learning they meant no harm. The same boy that stared Alduin in the eye and corrected him on his racist comment without fear so many years ago was now trembling while waiting for my response.

I sighed before giving my answer. "Bah, those customs are from a time long past. The world has changed a lot in the centuries I have been alive, and we need to be willing to chance alongside it. Tessia is a full grown woman and is mature enough to decide on her own who is worthy of being with her."

I then lift my only disciple up from his bow before taking him into a hug. "With that being said, if we were to follow the old customs, I would have approved it nonetheless. I couldn't think of a better person to be by Tessia's side."

I feel arms wrap around me in response as memories of our times together play in my mind. "I am glad that I was able to train you so long ago, Arthur. I am proud of the man you have become, and I know Alice and Reynolds feel the same."

The arms wrapped around me tremble slightly for just a moment at the mention of his father, but he quickly composed himself. "Thank you Gramps."

A cheeky grin came on my face as we parted from each other. "Thank me by hurrying up and asking for my blessing to marry her, and then giving me some great grandkids. You two took too damn long to get together! Don't keep me waiting any longer than I have to!"

He face scrunched and flushed red, just like it always did when I used to tease him about Tessia. Only now, he had a bright grin on his face as his eyes glittered with love as he thought of her.

For the first time since the war ended, I saw my disciple appear truly happy and thinking about what comes next with gleeful anticipation. I smiled as I looked at him, hoping for nothing but the best for him.