Drunk In The Night

Tessia had been on the road around Dicathen for quite some time now, jumping from Elenoir, to Darv, to Sapin. It was nice to feel needed and to have something she needed to get done in this new age, but sometimes, home simply calls. She had taken a break from travels and was staying at the palace in Zestier that she called home for most of her life.

It has been a strange experience to wake up and see Arthur in the palace nearly every day. While they had grown up together under her grandfather's tutelage, it was another experience altogether to meet her childhood friend while he was on duty. She still felt weird about the fact that her love had taken an oath to protect Elenoir and the royal family. To protect her. If a situation arose where there was any danger, she would have much rather he saved himself than her. Tessia simply couldn't think of a life without Arthur by her side.

But little did she know, oath or not, Arthur would always be willing to sacrifice himself for her. His feelings when it came to her were...complicated to say the least, but he thought of her and her grandfather as family. And he would do whatever it took to see his family happy and safe.

It was a fairly cool night, the temperature of the air feeling just perfect to Tessia. Normally, she would be soothed by the comfort it provided and would have been lulled to sleep by now.

But not tonight. After several hours of tossing and turning through the night, she found herself frustrated by the sleep that seemed to be escaping her. Giving up on having a good night's rest, Tessia wrapped herself in an outer robe, and left her room, deciding to take a walk instead.

She sighed and smiled to herself as the cool night air hit her face, making her feel relaxed and refreshed. This was the perfect time to stroll through the castle. All the pompous nobles and others that would fill the halls during the day were fast asleep, leaving only a couple of maids and guards up at the hour of the night she decided to leave her room.

She made her way to the main balcony of the castle and stared up into the blanket of stars that stretched to infinity. The pale crescent moon shone like a silvery claw in the night sky, giving the surroundings a beautiful sheen.

A clinking of a bottle hitting the floor snapped her out of her reverie. She turned towards the bench on the side to see the one that had been encroaching on her mind and preventing her sleep.

The auburn-haired man still hadn't noticed her, swaying slightly from side to side in a drunken stupor. His cheeks were flush from alcohol, and a goofy grin was on his face as he was lost in his own thoughts. He looked absolutely adorable to Tessia as she resisted the urge to snuggle up to him.

She sat down on the bench next to him, and tapped him on the shoulder, letting him know she was there. He turned to face his childhood friend, and his eyes widened, pure azure blues staring at her. The way the moon reflected in his eyes reminded her of the majesty of the ocean on a dark night. She felt a strong pull towards him, his eyes threatening to drown her if she stared for too long.

His mouth was wide open as his brain struggled to catch up with the sight in front of him. A bright smile formed on his face as he saw her.

He waved his hand in a lethargic, puerile manner, waving it slowly as his eyes began to droop again. "Hey, Tess! I didn't expect to see you here!"

Tessia merely giggled at his antics. He was clearly very drunk at the moment. "Hi Art, what are you doing right now?" She asked him softly.

"Nothing, Tesss. Don't-don't worry about it." He tried to hide it from her, but the small curl down of his mouth spoke volumes. Something was bothering him.

She sighed before touching his cheek with her hand. He settled into her touch, a sigh escaping him as he closed his eyes and held his own hand over her own. Usually, Arthur was reserved, as if he thought through every action of his carefully and methodically. However, tonight he seemed to be more at ease, alcohol loosening his nature. It was as if Tessia's presence alone seemed to give him the comfort he was seeking at the bottom of a bottle.

Tessia noted just how drunk he was, realizing that he would likely not remember the events that happened that night when he woke up in the morning. She decided to be a little selfish, stealing a glance at her crush. Her cheeks became rosy as she admired his form up close.

Beautiful

No other word came to her mind as she gazed lovingly at his face in the light of the moon. But as she looked closer, she noticed tears streaming down his face, a faint sparkle making them somehow appear akin to diamonds as they fell. His lips trembled softly to himself in a silent whimper.

He was hurting about something, but Tessia didn't understand why. He seemed so calm, normal, and happy during the day when he executed his duties as a lance flawlessly.

What could possibly be making him feel this way in the middle of the night?

"Art..." Tessia stopped herself, not sure if she should press her friend to open up to her. Instead, she cupped his head and leaned it against her shoulder as the duo stared in front into all the majesty the night offered.

But if she didn't force him to open up, then who would? He had worked so tirelessly to make sure everyone around him was happy. But did anyone really do the same for him?

Tessia knew it wasn't really her place to press into personal matters he wasn't willing to tell her about when he was sober. She knew it was wrong to take advantage of his current stupor.

But she was going to anyways. In order to figure out how she could be there for him.

She ran her hand through his soft hair, lulling him into comfort as he closed his eyes at the sensation. Arthur was too far gone to really understand what was going on, but he felt comfort. At peace. For some reason, at home for the first time in a long time.

"Art, please talk to me. What is wrong?" Tessia asked, true care and worry being carried through her soft words.

"Why do you think they left, Tess?" Arthur asked, his shallow trembles growing as worry flowed through him.

"What?" Tessia asked, completely caught off guard.

"My mom and Ellie. Did they hate having to be with me and dealing with all the fanfare that came with being family to a lance? Is that why they went to Alacrya? To be away from it all?" He said, not moving from his perch on Tessia's shoulder.

He took a couple of strands of Tessia's hair, which looked akin to liquid silver in the moonlight. He absentmindedly played with it as it ran through his fingers while listening to her breath.

Tessia sighed. "We both know that isn't true Art. In fact if anything it's because she loves you so much and looks up to you that she took the position. Your whole life you stepped up when needed. Ellie had the chance to do the same and took it."

Arthur's tears were wetting Tessia's clothing on her shoulder, but she paid it no mind.

"I just miss them, you know?" He said.

"I know, Art," Tess said soothingly. She quietly made a promise to see what she can do to help her childhood friend.

She smiled to herself when she remembered a particular trip she had been planning for some time now.