Chapter 26

An unbecoming copious taciturnity developed within the thralls of the calm forest when Danteus, Asashin, Leon, Lucius and Drayus regrouped with Demetria, Leviathan and Gothalia. Where their initial relief was replaced with concern as they scrutinised Gothalia in Leviathan's arms.

Danteus's brows drew together considering Gothalia's injuries, and she scrutinised his worried, yet familiar frame, hallowed by both determination and strength. Leviathan shifted uncomfortably under Danteus's unwavering focus.

A courteous smile gauged Gothalia's blood-stained lips that barely complimented her washed out complexion. "I'm okay," she told Danteus with an equally unwavering smile. "Don't look so worried." Even as Gothalia's words alighted her lips, she knew it didn't abolish the distress she saw cultivating behind his usually buoyant emerald eyes, even if his expression remained absent of fear and distress.

It was in that moment; she knew without a doubt, her words didn't persuade him yet why he even cared was beyond her.

The conversation that spewed between them was both curious and informative until they returned to the Cetatea and the threats that once fenced them vanished. In place of the threats reined Centurions. Confusion and uncertainty ventured across everyone's countenance expect Danteus and Asashin both of whom remained firm in confidence. At this, puzzlement ensued upon Gothalia and Leviathan's features.

It was at that point, Gothalia insisted Leviathan set her down and with little persuasion he did. She didn't like the other looks the Centurions gave when he carried her. Pulling her attention from the sea of faces, she whispered to Leviathan. "Why did Altair, Max and Anton not come back with us? Why did they leave before Danteus found us?"

Leviathan pulled his attention from the growing crowd and steadied her. "Probably because they weren't supposed to be there." Casually, Gothalia judged him before pulling her eyes away.

Events from within the simulation re-enacted within her mind as did Anton's words. So, instead, she assumed. "They went in because of me." Leviathan studied her and said nothing. He didn't need to.

Not before long, he guided her to the medical wing, after a soldier dressed in a pale blue uniform examined her before sending her there. When she arrived, another tender examined her and set her on one of the many beds before exiting the room. Leviathan sat on the chair opposite her. "They most likely did. You're Natalia's daughter. Of course, they did."

Gothalia recalled the event with Altair and Tharenus. "Yes, Natalia Valdis was my mother. Why does that matter?"

"It matters. Trust me. But you should probably ask Anaphora and L'Eiron for the details. It's not my place to say." Leviathan said, then climbed to his feet. "See you later?"

Gothalia forced a smile, "Sure see you later." Once he was gone, her smile dropped, and a variety of emotions flickered across her face. She knew there were secrets and people often lied to keep those secrets, but she couldn't shake that maybe it was a secret she didn't have a right to know. And if she did, was it beneficial to know?

The tender returned, designed in a uniform like hers but with the same blue colour as before. She knew who they were. They were the medics. The surgeons, the doctors, nurses and the scientists. Where she had weapons strapped to her right leg, they had tools.

The tender watched her. She eyed the tablet before her and asked, "In pain?"

"Yeah." Gothalia replied, laying on the bed, listening to the string of repetitive questions. Gothalia couldn't remember how long she was there for or how many questions the tender asked. She'd lost count. Including of the many faces that approached and introduced themselves to her before disappearing. They'd given her something to remove the pain, but she still felt it. Eventually, she spotted L'Eiron's brown hair among the light of the pale torches. A small smile graced her lips when he approached.