Chapter 5

On guard, Gothalia surveyed her surroundings. She took in the stillness and the darkness of the jungle. It was her turn to keep watch while Maximus and Anton slept. Not that she could sleep. Terrified someone would kill them in their sleep. However, it had been hours since they last had watched that timer count down before restarting again. Something they noticed happened every three hours. And something they agreed was unusual.

The thought of it frustrated her. Even if she knew with every passing hour and every time it reset, that frustration she suppressed merely grew. Until, it'd become an agitating thorn at her side.

"That's it!" Gothalia willingly hushed, climbing to her feet. She had to do something, she couldn't just sit there and do nothing.

She scanned her surroundings, once more and considered their hiding spot, on higher ground. Away from any surprise attacks. Surrounded by large sharp rocks. She knew it would keep Anton and Maximus safe until the morning. Unless, the other recruits climbed over those boulders. Gothalia glanced at the largest boulder that towered over them. "This is would be so much easier if I even had an element." Gothalia sighed.

Then, she heard movement at the base of the hill, below where they were. Quietly, Gothalia crawled over to Anton and Maximus, and silently woke them. She caught their alarmed gaze and signalled them to be quiet. They nodded. Gothalia turned back to the forest where they continued to hear footfalls march throughout the once silent valley. "How many are there?" Anton asked, grabbing his sword.

"Not sure, didn't check." Gothalia replied.

"What are we going to do if they find us?" Maximus queried. Gothalia recognised the same question flash across Anton's features. They had the perfect hiding spot but if the enemy ambushed them—there would be no way out except down the hill. Where the enemy currently moved through the jungle. None of them were fire utilisers she could tell, but that didn't stop them from carrying torches.

Warriors masked in mud progressed through the shadows of the thick jungle; their eyes gleamed beneath the crescent moon and the timer in the sky, continued to countdown. Jaded crimson eyes locked onto the small clearing atop a hill surrounded by large, ragged rocks. At the top of the rocks, above Anton, Maximus and Gothalia, arose a man. He peered at them, all of whom, were unaware of his presence. Silently, they watched the recruits move through the vegetation below with placid apprehension.

Then, he leapt from the top of the largest rock.

Gothalia shoved Anton out of the way, when the man landed on the small bit of earth. Climbing to his feet, he regarded the trio with bloodthirsty crimson eyes. "What the hell?" Anton muttered, his grip tightening around the hilt of his sword. Climbing to his feet. Gothalia and Anton pointed their weapons at the man.

"They're there!" a man called, pointing at the hilltop clearing, concealed by thick vines and leaves. The recruits rushed up the hill. While the warriors who trailed them, retreated further into the shadows as if they were never there.

The monster faced them, and Maximus called, "They found us!" He watched the recruits climbed the hill with their deterrents. Maximus, Anton and Gothalia ducked when they heard the recoil of a pistols and rifles. "Can those idiots stop shooting!" Maximus screeched, equally annoyed and terrified. Bullets battered the air above them, impaling the stone behind them.

Anton and Gothalia shielded their heads, watching in horror as bullets pierced the monster's chest. Blood oozed from the wound and the monster remained standing. Disinterested in Gothalia, Anton and Maximus who laid on their stomachs unmoving.

Recruits climbed the grassy hill towards the red eyed man with an eerie smile upon its twisted features. The first recruit passed the vines and was swiftly killed. When the monster slit his throat. But unlike earlier, they noticed the fallen recruit didn't fade from the arena. Bullets reigned, and another voice screamed in pain and terror.