Chapter 22

The Centurions, Legionnaires and Cavaliers fortified the bulwarks of the Fire Reserve's capital—New Icarus—stalwartly their presence never ending. Much to the frustration of an Excelian woman, who watched them from the shadows of the thick forest, where she knew their eyes wouldn't be able to make her out if she didn't move suddenly. If she did, she knew without a doubt they'd notice her.

"What do you think, Numitora?" an Excelian man declared from beside her. He wasn't a Deamone but an Angelus, much like most Excelians beyond those gates. However, she also knew it was a disguise. He wasn't really an Excelian, and neither was he Human. He was alien. He was Xzandian. And he was her sworn enemy. Or so they had conditioned her to believe. "Think she's there?" he pried.

"I know she is." Numitora Frustus-Ignatius declared. Her pale blue eyes shimmied in determination beneath the artificial sun that barely broke through the thick canopy above, giving life to the thick long grass beneath her boots and the forest that sheltered them.

"You know were not to attack yet, right?" he said, equably. "The General won't—"

"—Take too kindly to my recklessness. Yes, I'm aware." Numitora dismissed. "What of the Order? Are their members in place?"

"They're blending into the masses just like any spy. I doubt they'll act just yet but when they do, you know that'll be your signal, right?" he prompted, leisurely.

Numitora hushed. "I know."

Until she turned her attentiveness from the Excelians guarding the Fire Reserve and to the alien beside her. "Why are you here?"

"To make sure you get the job done."

"You make it seem like I've never completed a job in the past." Numitora rebutted. Swiftly, the Xzandian flung his contemptuous scrutiny upon her. In turn, Numitora pulled her gaze from him and concentrate on the sight before her.

"I never said that."

"You didn't need to. The implication was there." Numitora remarked.

Silence swelled between them, then the Xzandian turned his heel and walked away.

*

Horror glimmered within Leviathan's eyes as he examined the Deamone whom outnumbered them. Subconsciously, he stepped from the Deamone and unfolded his bow from his forearm, sensing the present danger. Once armed, he aimed his arrows and braced his stance, training his eyes on the Deamone in front of him.

Demetria warned heatedly. "Don't you dare move. I'll run you through. I promise." Gothalia observed the imminent fear crossing their once kind features. Surely, no one would hurt them. Would they?

"As if you could stop us." Tharenus avowed, coldly. His radiant crimson eyes scowled at Demetria with such sequestered aloofness it made a shiver run through Gothalia as she took in the anger marring his face. "Your people are the reason we won't hesitate to kill. The number of lives your people have taken. Is unforgivable." Hatred filled Tharenus's expression when his eyes landed on Leviathan. "You're the actual monsters. Since you're the heir of this Reserve. The weight of their errors falls on your shoulders."

"What are you talking about?" Demetria queried; her pale blue eyes glimmered in uncertainty. "If we had killed your people as mercilessly as you've implied. Wouldn't there be less of you?"

"It's because of that ignorance, we don't bother speaking to your kind. Unless we must." Tharenus said, aloofly.

"There are less of us." Altair put in, staring them down. "And that's because of your Reserve. The Earth Reserve, the Water Reserve and the Air Reserve too. All four reserves launched a full-scale invasion on our lands, led by the Fire Reserve. However, that was simply a well-devised distraction, as you had your spies abduct our people. Specific people, though. And you made sure you did your homework too, didn't you?" Altair's dark eyes became stonier than Gothalia had ever thought possible, and in that moment, she saw the burning loathing scorching beneath his skin.