Chapter 17

Gothalia entered the classroom. When she did, the instructor demanded she complete some exercise sets like Leviathan, both of who arrived late to class. So she ran laps, did push-ups, sit-ups and burpees before joining the class. When Gothalia joined the class, she was immediately forced to fight a fake Xzandian and then lost. Her muscles not given time to recover, nor had they had given her time to catch her breath. Some laughed at how she landed, while others deliberately avoided eye-contact. Almost too ashamed to acknowledge her. She frowned at their behaviour. If they're so skilled why aren't they top of the class? She thought vehemently.

Gothalia climbed to her feet once again, ready to fight. Her virtual enemy spun his spear at him before jabbing it at her. Gothalia dodged the spear's tip and rolled over the shoulder. Crouching, she kicked him away before standing at her full height. She ran at him when he stumbled and grabbed the spear from his unbalanced form as she kicked him in the torso. She spun the spear around her and twisted, slitting his throat with the tip of the same spear. The room fell silent. Some clapped while others stared. Stunned. Everyone aside from Leviathan, Anton, and Maximus watched her with both malice and fear.

Not even the instructor praised her. Instead, he ordered her in line with the other recruits and she obeyed. Not that she needed his praise. She knew she did well. After all, she wasn't trained by just one Triarius but two. She knew she could handle herself, even if she had her butt handed to her the first time. Lesson learned, she thought, don't be too arrogant. Once in line with the other recruits, the lesson continued and Gothalia was proud she kept up if not excelled in some areas, which surprised her. Until, eventually, the time had come, and she graduated from her training. Now, a qualified Centurion.

Though, the more she thought about it, not once had she been a part of these dangerous tournaments L'Eiron and Anaphora were worried about or even expected. As she stood with the other recruits, including Anton and Maximus, to receive their awards, she glanced at the crowd and watched as Anaphora and L'Eiron regarded her with pride but also something else—uncertainty and fear.

Gothalia thought little of it until her commanding officer—placed a badge upon her chest and said, "This won't last." Gothalia regarded him for a moment and he watched her. Then he moved onto the next person. When the ceremony was over, Gothalia stormed off the stage and to Anaphora and L'Eiron, who patiently waited for her, Anton and Maximus. Maximus and Anton were over the moon that they'd passed, but Gothalia figured it was because they were actually making friends.

Gothalia on the other hand, had made no friends. All she could think of was Leviathan and Danteus. I guess that counts, she thought, considering it.

Anaphora said, "You're officially Centurions. Congratulations!" A giant smile stretched across her face.

"Looks like we're colleagues now," L'Eiron said. "Even if you're still babies." Gothalia, Anton and Maximus rolled their eyes and didn't comment on his joke. Gothalia turned her gaze to Leviathan in the crowd. His parents were present—as expected. Anton said, "Let's go home. I'm tired."

"Good idea," L'Eiron said. Anton, Maximus and Anaphora parted amicably, discussing what foods they would have tonight to celebrate as they strode ahead. L'Eiron brushed the back of his hand on Gothalia's forearm, catching her attention. "You ready?" he asked, wondering why she hadn't moved.

After a moment, Gothalia said. "Ready." She pulled her eyes from the royal family and followed L'Eiron out of the building to where Anaphora and the others waited with bright, eager smiles. Gothalia with L'Eiron followed them. Until she paused when she spotted a few new graduates watching her with stoic expressions. She ignored them and returned home with her small family. Later, they celebrated that night with food and wine.