Chapter 25

General Goran Dracon-Ignatius regarded the holographical displays before him of the Earth Reserve's capital hovering in the centre of the table. A live feed streamed the current movements of the infiltration and extraction team under Lieutenant Colonel Anaphora Regan-Valdis' charge from where he sat at the large round table.

Other high-ranking officers from the Centurion division, the Legionnaire division and the Cavalier division surrounded the table with their Generals. Joining the table was a representative from the Grand Elder's Council Grand Elder Syphree Quintus-Byzantine, who sat beside King Zagreus of the Fire Reserve.

Goran's amber eyes assessed every individual at the table, even Serban Aetós in the back. He had attempted to circumvent this meeting a little longer. After all, it wasn't the right time, they had the Xzandians and the Order to deal with. Stationed not too far from their gates.

While the members of the Order, he knew were no doubt within the Reserve's Capital. The virus destroying their networks was proof of that. While the Accommodator was at risk. He'd prefer to have her killed than in the hands of the enemies.

Gothalia Ignatius-Valdis. His lips curled in disgust at his family name attached to the Valdis name. It tasted bitter in his mouth. Biologically she shouldn't exist. But she did. All because of Gaius. Somehow, he managed to do the impossible.

Goran regarded the screen, and watched Anaphora cautiously move through the streets with her smaller team that separated not too far ago from the larger group. With everything that was happening, why was this meeting deemed a priority? Their enemies could destroy their home in a matter of hours. "Why so quiet Goran?" King Zagreus enquired, breaking the silence. "Surely you have something to say?"

"I was waiting for you, your majesty. I didn't want to overstep."

"You're not overstepping," King Zagreus declared, with a slight smile. His turgid amber eyes, much like Goran's, showed their common ancestry. However, his dark red hair spiralling over his shoulders beneath the elegant gold crown on his head was a heavy constant signifier of how long ago their families were united. All those centuries ago. "You have every right to have your say just as much as everyone else at this table. Now . . . the Earth Reserve . . . I see you've learned of the recent deployment."

"I have," Goran replied. "Is there a reason you chose Lieutenant Colonel Regan-Valdis for this mission? There are others equally, if not more qualified, for this role?" Goran asked.

"It's because of the Valdis abilities I've sent the Lieutenant Colonel. As you know, I could've sent Lieutenant Colonel Augustin-Valdis, but he's working with others to isolate and eradicate the virus uploaded by the Order's followers. I figured that was far more important. So, I requested for Lieutenant Colonel Regan-Valdis to take part in this mission."

"But that's not your jurisdiction." Goran answered. "The military is separate from civilian state of affairs."

"It was at first. Until the recent laws that have passed allowed me to have such a right including the next ruler." King Zagreus declared. "And yes, I'm aware that the military is usually a separate entity like any other company. And don't worry, I don't intend to change your procedures or disrupt your chain of command. Everything is working the way it should. So, there's no need to change it. However, we'll only use this as a last resort. For situations like this and the Deamone captives."

Goran's gaze narrowed. "You're defending them."

"No, I'm not defending them. I'm simply trying not to start another war. Considering we've barely recovered from the effects of the last one."

"The Deamone and those who have been born in this Reserve are citizens of this Reserve. Their parentage country has abandoned them." Goran countered.

"You forget. The Deamone laws don't apply to places of birth but to their ancestry, genetic code and their gene expression. It doesn't matter how diluted their blood. If they've activated their délanocytes regardless of their physical appearance. Their ancestry gives them the right to relinquish their birthplace if need be or if desired and become a citizen of Ozul." King Zagreus said. "Considering that we've already been attacked by the Deamone once before. This is a necessary political counter measure, as is Lieutenant Colonel Regan-Valdis and the other Deamone. Especially Lieutenant Ignatius-Valdis."