CHAPTER 80: WITH A BIT OF LUCK

'Deep inside me, I'm fading to black, I'm fading

Took an oath by the blood on my hand, won't break it

I can taste it, the end is upon us, I swear

Gonna make it

I'm gonna make it'

*DOROTHY'S POV*

"Remember, from now on, there's only one true version."

Blade had already repeated those words a thousand times, yet the whisper echoed differently in this early afternoon, cutting through the center's faint hum of cars, tittle-tattle, and today, also shushed gasps.

Even Spencer's smooth words sounded sharper as I lifted my gaze to the large building in front of us. "Are you ready, DD?"

"Yes, I am."

No, I wasn't. The shaky exhale that followed was enough to outweigh my determined answer, without even considering the rest of my body: my trembling hands as I took in the familiar beige facade, my wobbly nerves at the sight of the starry flag, and my wavering heart as my eyes followed the bold letters above the door: SUBROSE POLICE.

However, it was the date we'd fixed, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, when the holiday spirit of giving and forgiving was arising, and the Thorntons were still in custody in the state police department, from what we'd read in the news in Montana.

Yes, the story had traveled as far, and Spencer's article too, as his fantastic words had been quoted and re-quoted in every newspaper we'd found.

I'd never had a doubt about that, but it still exceeded our expectations, as the attention had triggered a police investigation almost immediately by the FBI, which had already arrested lots of people mentioned in the article, including members of the Carrion gang.

Thus, it was the perfect time to drop a certain name. It was what we'd planned. Spencer and Blade had done their part perfectly. Now, it was my turn, and they were by my side for it.

As my gaze passed from anxious blue to worried brown, I knew I could do it with them, and as I squeezed their hands in mine, I knew I could do it for them.

Together, no matter what... Like the three musketeers, and D'Artagnan was the little badass growing inside my belly, the one leading me to take a step forward.

"We can't get away forever," I murmured, as much for Blade's sideway glances and the bad intentions there inviting me to escape forever, and for the shakes of Spencer's hand, as to fight the surge tingling my restless legs as I took another slow step and another heavy breath.

Another step, another breath... until we had climbed the short stair, and I wasn't breathing when Blade opened the door, muttering,

"If someone told me, I'd come here willingly..."

He was trying to distract me, and it worked for a second before the voice of the receptionist paralyzed me. Though not as much as the brown-haired woman froze when she lifted her gaze from her papers.

"Good afternoon, Police of Subrose, in what may we help–"

She already had pale skin, but she turned whiter than her sweater as she gaped at us like... three outlaws.

"Hello." I offered her my most innocent smile, not sure what to say next as she jumped at the sound of my cracky voice.

But thankfully, Spencer always had the words, and walking slowly to her front desk, he put up his polite smile, which looked way smoother than the reflection of my tense rictus I caught on the glass separating us from her.